Secondary - Small Leak From Bung, Continue?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza88

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My first batch of partial AG beer (BiaB) is about 12 litres of belgian strong ale (based on a Chimay blue recipe off the web - why not dive into the deep end to start). I have had it in a secondary fermenter to condition and was going to bottle it this arvo. I just noticed that beer has been leaking out of bottom from where a bung was place instead of a tap (to prevent me from taste testing every day). It annoys me that there now an issue which potentially affects my first ag batch of beer.

Upon smelling and observing the beer this morning it looks and smells great from the top of the container. I am assuming the beer on the inside of the vessel should still be fine - pressure from the volume of beer should have only sent beer one way exiting the bung and therefore not returning into the vessel (that is sound science isn't it?). The fermenter has left a ring of sticky beer on my tiled floor where it been sitting for 24 days conditioning. I noticed one cockroach in that room a week ago - may have been enjoying my leaked beer before i squashed him (never seen a cocky in there before).

I also might bulk prime for the first time. A calculator said to use 63 grams of sucrose to bulk prime this batch - does that sound right?

Btw, I love chimay, if anyone can tell me how to get it for significantly less than 10 bucks a stubbie in Qld without buying a carton for 160 - 170 bucks i would be grateful.

Hi guys,
Upon smelling and observing the beer this morning it looks and smells great from the top of the container. I am assuming the beer on the inside of the vessel should still be fine

I also might bulk prime for the first time. A calculator said to use 63 grams of sucrose to bulk prime this batch - does that sound right?

That beer should be fine, I've had the same problem before and the beer was good.

Don't know about 12ltrs, but in 23 I use 180g, I like a bit of fizz in my beer, I have just started using this priming calculator (http://www.geocities.com/lesjudith/Alcohol...Calculator.html), which might help you out.

$10 a bottle..................it would have to be great to make me buy a doz.

I find about 100g in a 23L batch is good for me. Not too fizzy and not too flat. You're calculations seem ok for 12L, but it depends on what you like. Your beer should be ok and I'd definately bottle, but you may want to buy another secondary vessel, or you could just ferment the whole way through in the primary. The vessel I use to bulk prime has a very slight leak, similar to what you are talking about, however, the beer is only in there for the 20-30 minutes it takes me to bottle the batch. So it's not a huge worry for me. I don't ferment in the secondary phase for this reason but if I wanted to I'd just buy another 20-25L drum.

Hope it goes well.

Bowie

Upon smelling and observing the beer this morning it looks and smells great from the top of the container.

If it looks like good beer and smells like good beer it probably is good beer. Definitely continue. My main concern would be getting it into bottles before it all leaks out!

For this style you'd want relatively low carbonation (any personal preferences aside), so using the "Wort Games Brewery Reckoner" (link) I'd be aiming for around 2 C02 Volumes which according to the BeerSmith carbonation calculator would require around 55grams of sugar at 20 degrees celcius.

If it's hotter than that (say 27 degrees+) I would say 63g is pretty much spot on.

Btw, I love chimay, if anyone can tell me how to get it for significantly less than 10 bucks a stubbie in Qld without buying a carton for 160 - 170 bucks i would be grateful.

I noticed www.beerstore.com.au have it as their beer of the week this week (NO affiliation!) Might workout cheaper?

Thanks for the feedback.

Will bottle this bad boy tomorrow morning. Leak is very slow (small ring of liquid after 24 days), shouldn't lose too much more from 1 more night.

Chimay is awesome beer, hopefully my brew will be somewhere in the ballpark so i don't have to buy it too often to enjoy it. I have seen those online prices but delivery usually ups it back too close to the price of Dan M's for the amount i want to get.

Does this forum ever bulk buy expensive beers between a number of members?

I tried to do a small order from notjustwine (google search that - no affiliation). They have cheap Belgian beers - Chimay blue $6.65 i think. You need to buy a carton (could be mixed) and you get free shipping. I would be willing to go halves to quarters kind of thing.

Latest posts

Back