Second All Grain Mash, Overextracted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pk.sax

RIP bum
Reaction score
Well, following tony's LCBA scaled recipe for 14.5 litres, I mashed 66-65C for a bit too long (went for a shower) and have a bit too much overextraction.

Checked gravity at 95C of ~17 litres of wort is 1022.

Corrected to 20C, it's 17L of 1058 wort. I could end up with a high gravity 15 litres post boil and dilution I suppose, it's going into an empty 17L fwk cube for fermenting.

This is even gonna throw out my hop additions :(

Target was 14.5 L of 1048 wort. On top of which I was goin to throw in 0.5L of rehydrated US05.

Target IBU: 24.9

Faaaaaak

Oh yeah, biab btw. The squeezed and sparged grain is ~ just less than 3L by the eyeball. Assumed eff in recipe was 75%. My last effort was wayyyyyyyyy inefficient in extraction. This is totally unexpected.

Faaaaaaak

Could I just scale to a 20.5 litres into fermenter hopping schedule? Then I can brew in a bigger fermenter after diluting it. Or just keep it as it is and create 15 litres of higher gravity wort.... I understand that the hops are a prominent part of this recipe, I'd like to keeping close to the intended target.

maybe you could check the gravity before the boil and addjust the hops and recipe to suit. might mean you have to add more hops and water at the end or if you got room to add water to the pot do that. Yeah my first BIAB was a complete disaster lol only got 55% eff prob partly as the dog ripped the bag out of the esky and by the time I found it. it was all uncovered and temp was 62c lol but as it was my first so tried to salvage what was left.

Hehe, I'm using brewmath to scale the hopping, but looks like I've ended up doing a NickJD style overgravity stovetop biab. I'll no chill it in the fwk so hopefully the effect of boiling the hops in overgravity wort will be compensated. Yeah, fair assumption?! Damn, I'm gonna hate pouring it into the cube. Was gonna siphon but can't with hot wort now :(

Somehow I doubt the wort was still at 95c when you got the measurement...

I know... It was ~96.5 ish when I scooped some out. I have a finger dent on the hydro tube to tell where I held the tube to stretch it back to straight after I poured it back :p

Hey, I hope ur right kev, it would save my hopping :) I'm not compensating for the high gravity boil in my calc.

What's the lowest temp you'd suggest no chilling would work at? I'm really keen to avoid pouring it into the cube.

What I would do at this stage take a sample and lower the sample tube into cool water, without allowing any thing to mix from the wort and water bath. Once the sample is at room/water temp then take another reading.

QldKev

Hmnnnnnn, good idea, I'll do so pronto. I was planning to do another sample before diluting to fermenter to be sure but it's not lost yet :) brb

Edit:

Sample taken at 40C, 1.050 (poured into tube at 41)

Corrected to 20C, 1.056

In all the running around, I forgot the irish moss, well, delayed 0 min hops and boiled with 1/2 tab for extra 5-6 mins.

As a rough guess, I have 15-16 litres in the pot now.

Ok, day is saved. My siphon is handling the hot wort :)

I'm goin to squeeze the cube/top up with boiling water in the cube and leave it to chill overnight. Thanks for the chill sample tip Kev, at least I know for sure that my revised hopping is close to right now.

I can never not stuff something up :p

Ok, day is saved. My siphon is handling the hot wort :)

I'm goin to squeeze the cube/top up with boiling water in the cube and leave it to chill overnight. Thanks for the chill sample tip Kev, at least I know for sure that my revised hopping is close to right now.

I can never not stuff something up :p

The scramble is all part of the fun, did you find the amount into the cube was what you expected or was there a little more trub?

Well, the post boil amount I siphoned to cube was exactly what I wanted for volume. Albeit, overgravity. I tipped in 3 kettles full of boiling water to top up the cube, i.e., 4.5L. Now I have the cube nearly full. Measured the trub in pot, ~2L. I've put 1L into a long neck flask, I'll see if it settles out overnight and stays uninfected (gave it a few good squirts o starsan before clingwrapping). Mght use it to rehydrate yeast if it works out. Would've been great to do it to 15L, pushing it to 20L is being a royal pain in the arse. I'll post a few pics I took of the shenanighans I had to get up to.

See ya back in melb Bob.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Out of interest, I no chill within 10min of flame out. I use the thick walled silicon hose and have no issues with hot wort transfer. Also I have changed the process a bit from no chill to slow chill; where once in the cubes I drop them into large bowls of water that come all the way up the sides. Then I change the water once it gets hot. I find the cubes cool down a lot faster compared to no chill.

QldKev

As Promised, photos:

Fancy hydro sample chiller
IMG_0092__1280x960_.jpg
Break at the end of siphon
IMG_0093__1280x960_.jpg
In the cube
IMG_0094__1280x960_.jpg

Much happier this second time :)

btw, Kev, I'd been hearing ppl going from no chill to slow chill on this forum, but can't quite grasp it. Isn't no chill not force chilled because you are using the hot wort contact to sterilise the cube? Obviously, it works for you, just seemed like a big part of the no chill to leave it hot from the wiki.

Much happier this second time :)

btw, Kev, I'd been hearing ppl going from no chill to slow chill on this forum, but can't quite grasp it. Isn't no chill not force chilled because you are using the hot wort contact to sterilise the cube? Obviously, it works for you, just seemed like a big part of the no chill to leave it hot from the wiki.

I still starsan my cube prior to use. Then dump the near boiling wort into it. It will still give contact time at high temps to sanitise (maybe even sterilise?) it, prior to cooling. Doing it this way I dont have any issues. I read somewhere that hop bittering only happens above 80c, so the idea is to get under this critical temp as fast as you can. I also know of at least one brewer who uses an immersion chiller to get down to 80, then cubes the beer.

QldKev

aha! now I see. Thanks for that. esp the 80C part. I had the cube star san'd as well as I was originally planning to use it as the fermenter, well, I sanitise everything so yeah, lol.
I bet adding that boiling water to top the cube up in my case would've damaged the flavour and aroma addition :( Might add a little into fermenter to compensate. This is really good info about the temperature. I'll watch out next time :)

I still starsan my cube prior to use. Then dump the near boiling wort into it. It will still give contact time at high temps to sanitise (maybe even sterilise?) it, prior to cooling. Doing it this way I dont have any issues. I read somewhere that hop bittering only happens above 80c, so the idea is to get under this critical temp as fast as you can. I also know of at least one brewer who uses an immersion chiller to get down to 80, then cubes the beer.

QldKev
Interesting QK. How about the people who think DMS can be an issue with no-chilling? Any ideas on the temps where that is a problem?

(I should note that I'm a no-chiller, and not looking to change any time soon, although refining the process is always on the cards! And if I'm worried about DMS (i.e. lots of pils malt) I do an extra long boil anyway)

See ya back in melb Bob.

Na still in Thailand, just jump on AHB whilst the wifey is still sleeping :angry: and when it rains, which is at least an hour a day this time of year..

Hey great picks, question were you able control the flow with that siphon of yours, tried it once (with some hose and a clamp) and struggled to control the speed and disturbed all the protein break. Had to let it settle again and just pored it from the pot :angry:

hey hey, ur an AHB addict now :p

btw, break n all, looks like I sucked in a tiny bit from the point where the siphon hit the pot (look in pic) but left most of it behind. Just had a look in the cube, I have very very little trub on the bottom of the two feet. Since I kept it tilted away from the tap foot for a bit, ~ 0.5 cm trub in one foot and ~ 1 cm trub in the other. Very very little, basically, I dipped the siphon tube into the pot and then closed the clamp and filled the tube with boiled water, raising it let the bubbles escape and fill it up. Then lowered into cube and opened the clamp, no violent sucking etc... I was pretty scared at the prospect of sucking on hot wort :blink:

Well, cya when ur back then

You should really be sticking your knee into that cube and squeezing all the air out before sealing it up. If you're nochilling you will still have to sanitise the cube. Sub boiling water isn't going to sterilize it, some bacterial spores can survive boiling water for quite a while. (though they probably aren't beer spoilers but w/e)

Latest posts

Back