Scottish Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boybrewer

Reaction score
Hi ;
Just wondering if WLP 013 London Ale is ok for a scottish 80/- ?

Cheers
Beerbully

No probs, I only say that because I used the wyeast scottish ale yeast recently, and it has quite a bit in common with the london ale yeast.

No probs, I only say that because I used the wyeast scottish ale yeast recently, and it has quite a bit in common with the london ale yeast.

OK I was wondering about the yeast for I have some London ale yeast ready to go . Most of the scottish ale yeast used are low floc and give of a smokey flavour .

just wondering why scottish yeasts, or for that matter any yeast, would give or give off a smokey element ?

just wondering why scottish yeasts, or for that matter any yeast, would give or give off a smokey element ?

I would argue that its more of a very mild "peaty" element of flavour. Can't answer 'why' other than I can only associate it with some of their single malt whiskey's they produce ;)

Just in my own humble opinion, I think this is what makes this recipe "Scottish" and I dont think you can get the same results using London Ale...

The smokeyness comes from the peated malt.
The yeast is very similar to english ale yeasts.

The smokeyness comes from the peated malt.
The yeast is very similar to english ale yeasts.

But scottish ale does not require peated malt to be added to it. I have read a bit of discussion on the matter and nothing concrete is established. Sure, add a touch of peated malt if you like that. From my usage of it in beers other than a scottish ale, I'd say the Wyeast Scottish ale doesn't throw smoky or peaty flavours.

It's historically possible that when Scottish ales were brewed that the use of peat as a heating source for the boil may have imparted some flavour, as may if the crystalised barley was heated in a peat fired oven. Maybe its that wonderful association with scottish malt whiskeys that see people look for a "peatiness"

All I know that I if you like low malty beers, a scottish ale can be a marvellous brew. With or without added smokiness.

Back to the original supposition, yes Beer Belly, London Yeasts and Scottish yeast appear as interchangeable in many britannic brews.

Lastly, scottish ale yeast (and Edinburgh yeast from Whitelabs) is a marvellous yeast that can be used for many a brew. I would consider it one of three essential yeast in my collection (which of course doesn't not include lambics, any thing belgian or wheaty) :icon_cheers:

edit : from the Australian style guidelines comes mention of smokiness / peatiness / earthiness and does mention yeast as an influence on smokiness. Very interesting. It also mentions water .. brew with dirty water to obtain an earthiness .. I wonder ..

Comments: The malt-hop balance is slightly to moderately tilted towards the malt side. Any caramelization comes
from kettle caramelization and not caramel malt (and is sometimes confused with diacetyl). Although unusual, any
smoked character is yeast- or water-derived and not from the use of peat-smoked malts. Use of peat-smoked malt to
replicate the peaty character should be restrained; overly smoky beers should be entered in the Specialty Beer
category rather than here.

Back