Scored 2L of maple syrup - what to brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine brewed a maple wine once. It was totally awesome. After a year of conditioning it tasted like cognac. Stunning! You could do a 7litre batch and end up around 15%. That approximates his OG and ABV. Yeast choice would be very important. Off the top of my head I'd go with WL099

I would go no-boil, as for mead.

Well the Voodoo Doughnut by Rogue is pretty memorable
Voodoo.jpg
Not just for the nice restful bottle colour, I think the Maple was added as a post fermentation addition, I would suspect after filtering, so could be added directly to a kegged beer, provided you kept it cold from then on.
Mark

I've done this as a small ferment addition in some pales, it certainly adds another layer to the finished beer. As with all things balance is key.

shacked said:
Had a friend from Canada stop by the other day and he gave me 2L of pure maple syrup as a gift. I'm not a huge fan of eating the stuff but I do love turning sugars into alcohol.

It's No. 1 Medium (http://www.maplesyrupworld.com/pages/Maple-Syrup-Grading.html).

Not sure what to brew with it (I brew all grain). Any suggestions?
It makes a great addition to middle eastern and north African dishes.

Invent a new style:
Canadian Dubbel - replace candy syrup with maple syrup!
Probably only need 0.5-1L in a batch, so you could do one batch, see how it goes then tweak and do a second.

Or you could do a Canadian-style UK ESB or IPA - like how the Brits have been known to use sugaz in their brewing of bitters, etc. Again replace the sugaz with maple syrup.

Personally, i think its manna from heaven & awesomely yummy, so i can't imagine why you wouldn't just eat it normally - It's what God, Allah, Buddha & Shiva use on their pancakes when they breakfast together!!

technobabble66 said:
Personally, i think its manna from heaven & awesomely yummy, so i can't imagine why you wouldn't just eat it normally - It's what God, Allah, Buddha & Shiva use on their pancakes when they breakfast together!!
just not my bag really. I might try putting it on some bacon and then putting that bacon on pancakes; Canada style. mmmm... bacon.

Errrm maple syrup is a bad brewing ingredient...best send that down to me and I'll sort out the disposal for free.

Paging GABBA110360, he made a smoked beer with maple syrup in it that was rather delicious

shacked said:
just not my bag really. I might try putting it on some bacon and then putting that bacon on pancakes; Canada style. mmmm... bacon.
do yourself a favour and throw some strawberries on that as well and you have a breakfast to kill for!

I'm about to bottle a clone of Kentucky breakfast stout... Its delicious. Can only imagine trying the Canadian would be sublime.

lael said:
I'm about to bottle a clone of Kentucky breakfast stout... Its delicious. Can only imagine trying the Canadian would be sublime.
Chocolate and oatmeal imperial-ish stout then coffee and maple syrup in the secondary? Interesting...

I'd think it'll get lost in a stout. Darkest I myself would go is amber. Brew an Amber and special order White Labs bourbon yeast. Use the maple syrup as a late addition and age the final beer on lightly charred oak blocks. Damn, I may have to give that a go. That and the maple glazed ribs!

Latest posts

Back