Schott Bottles - Will They Work On A Stirrer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
I have yet to venture into the world of erlenmeyers for starters, as I currently use small(500ml) schott bottles in the microwave, and step up into PET bottles.

So before I pay a visit to the local scientific supplies shop, I want to know if anybody has used large Schott Bottles(eg 2 litre) on a yeast stirrer successfully? ie does the stir bar stir at a satisfactory rate? Also if you have used them on a stir plate, what size bars are used?

I would prefer to use a Schott Bottle, even though they are much more expensive than the Erlenmeyer equivalent size flask, as they are much stronger and more versatile. But if they don't work on a yeast stirrer then I will revert to erlenmeyers.

Also I would like to confirm whether a schott bottle be direct heated with a gas burner, and dropped into cold? I currently do it with the microwave with no probs.

I believe ozbrewer has used them successfully, but would like to get confirmation or otherwise from a few others before I spend my hard earned.

cheers
roach

I've never had problems with stirring in Schott bottles. A small or medium sized stir bar should be fine. I'm not sure how they go being direct-heated, but it is certainly not what they are designed for and I wouldn't do it. You are better of sticking with microwaving.

Can you even afford a 2L Schott after that fancy new stand, roach?

Kai said:
Can you even afford a 2L Schott after that fancy new stand, roach?
[post="113539"][/post]​
actually no. figure i'd get the brew equip purchases out of the way early this year. now where is that autoclave catalogue :blink:

its all a bit academic as a 2L schott won't fit in a microwave, but boy would it look good on a stirrer. i already have the 3 coloured led 12 volt fan to suit B)

roach, I have a 500ml and 5000ml bottle and they work fine with the stir plate BUT I have recently busted a 2000ml on the stove, it cracked cleanly around the entire base :( But mine are made from pyrex not borosilicate, not that I think that would make much of a difference since I also have a 2000ml flask and it also has a crack in it from the stove.

Jye
:beer:

Have spoke directly to a scientific supplier and the rep said he has been in the game for 35 years and so I have assumed he knows what he is talking about.

His advice is:
- schott bottles are borosilicate(ie pyrex) and as such can take direct evenly distributed heat
- all glass, whether erlenmeyer or schott bottles, do not like concentrated heat in particular spots(eg gas flame) and so should be used with a diffuser(I am sure many here have been fine with gas heat, but thought I would pass on his view)
- electric element is fine as a heat source since it is an evenly distributed heat.

cheers
roach

Roach,
I have cracked a 2l schott on the electric stove. I guess because it is not completely flat.
chhers
Darren

Thanks Darren - to be safe I might boil up the starter wort in a pot with the lid on for 10 mins and then transfer to the Schott as per the Darren method

Back