Schooey In Perth 10-13th May

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schooey

Reaction score
Just booked flights for a work trip to Perth in May. Will be in Perth from the 10th - 13th may and then spending some time touring down the coast to the Margaret River and ???

Have seen a few threads with the usual destinations to check out i.e. Sail & Anchor, Little Creatures, Feral, Mad Monk etc.. but is there aything off the radar that is a must see? Also looking for must-do non-brewing things for the wife and kids so as to veil this Western beer adventure somewhat... :ph34r:

Also keen for a catch up with/meet any Perth brewers who are up for a couple of pints one night through the week... Really looking forward to this trip!

Cheers,

schooey

Just booked flights for a work trip to Perth in May. Will be in Perth from the 10th - 13th may and then spending some time touring down the coast to the Margaret River and ???

Have seen a few threads with the usual destinations to check out i.e. Sail & Anchor, Little Creatures, Feral, Mad Monk etc.. but is there aything off the radar that is a must see? Also looking for must-do non-brewing things for the wife and kids so as to veil this Western beer adventure somewhat... :ph34r:

Also keen for a catch up with/meet any Perth brewers who are up for a couple of pints one night through the week... Really looking forward to this trip!

Cheers,

schooey

A big supporter of craft brewing in WA is Clancy's Fish Pub. There is two, one in Fremantle (a bit off the beaten track) and one in Applecross with a handy bus stop out the front serviced by buses from Perth. They have excellent local craft beers on tap. Last time I was there I had a choice of Little Creatures Pale, Little Creature Small Batch (Kent Goldings), Feral Hop Hog plus other high quality beers and ciders. The food is excellent though pricey (on par for the rest of Perth though) for someone from over East.

I highly recommend a session there one day of the week.

The Perth Zoo is great for kids, and there is a reasonable bar nearby (The Windsor). Otherwise Kings Park, the Swan Valley is a great wine region and hosts Feral Brewing, the Duckstein and Mash Brewing, so plenty of spots to choose.

Hope that helps.
:icon_chickcheers:

Just out of Margaret River you will drive thru a little place called Cowaramup.
There is a brewery there called the Colonial. They do an awesome Kolsch clone.
Has a great playground if your kids are little, and nice food.

Hope u Enjoy WA, but its a bit dry at the moment, and the rubbish on the sides of the roads is a fkin embarrassment.

A big supporter of craft brewing in WA is Clancy's Fish Pub. There is two, one in Fremantle (a bit off the beaten track) and one in Applecross with a handy bus stop out the front serviced by buses from Perth.
There's actually a newish one open in City Beach, right on the ocean - it's pretty damn nice!!

If you go to the mash brewery in the swan valley there is mini golf and also super golf for the kids and big kids

If you are going down south make your way down to Walpole and do the tree top walk (valley of the giants) Also great fishing

Also Pemberton is nice for winery's and The wine and Truffle company YUM YUM

The only problem with going to the south of WA is that you have to come back home

There is the Margaret River Distilling Company that is quite good.
They have an animal farm down south for the kids also you can do tours of the caves drop into a few wineries and get a surf in if your keen

On your trip South,
there are heaps of places to take kids...
Caves, Chocolate factory, Prevelly Beach M/River (Big Waves),

Go through Busselton and then to Dunsborough, and follow Caves Road down to Margaret River, heaps to see and do down that way.

Another one I can highly recommend for the whole family is 'The Shearing Shed' on Caves Road, the bloke (Steve Butterly) does a great job with kids explaining the history of the wool industry and shearing in general, and he gets the kids really involved, and its a good laugh.

Enjoy WA

I was holidaying here about a year ago, and ended up moving here.

I will also say the zoo was great, I went there with some mates and their kid. We went for a bushwalk around Cape Naturaliste and happened to see lots of whales breaching, even though it was off season. We stayed in Dunsborough with lots of mates and had way too much fun. The Margaret River area is simply stunning.

I love Clancy's in Freo, and it has a definite family vibe on the weekends, and I have seen loads of kids playing out the back. They had BrewDog Hardcore on about week ago, and it was awesome.

I could be up for a mid-week cheeky pint.

The Sail & Anchor and Mad Monk are practically opposite one another. Whilst Little Creatures is a hop, skip and a jump the other side of the Esplanade (a big park which splits Freo between the Harbour and the City Centre), all in Freo and easily walkable. Can be done in an arvo with a pint or two at each. The Norkfolk (another Freo Pub) is a good spot, and ok for beer selection (IIRC mostly James Squires plus a few regulars). Clancy's Fish Pub (Freo) is a little bit out of town, you can walk it, but give yourself 10mins or so in the opposite direction to town.

Im surprised no one has mentioned The Bootleg Brewery down south. Cant remember exactly what area its in, but if your heading to Margaret River its roughly on the way and worth a stop. They do mixed 6 pack take-aways which is always my reason for a brief pull-in.

The Caves at Yallingup are awesome, great for kids and family. Highly recommend! I hope you like stairs... ;)

If heading further south, Pemberton is good for the national parks with Marri/Tuart Forrest where you can drive through to a few nice picnic spots. Glouster Tree or Bicentennial Tree are climbable if your game. Not sure about the kids though, depends on how old they are...

The whole south-west region is a treasure trove of wineries with a good handful of breweries and I believe a couple of cideries as well (at least one in Bridgetown but its not open Tuesdays) Heaps of little specialty food thingos as well. Chocolate Factory, Ice-creameries, boutique nibblies etc etc...I'm sure you wont be stuck for options. Just note that there will be a bit of driving required between most places, so a big one at one of the breweries can often stop you in your tracks unless the missus is taking over driving duties...

If your in Perth itself, then try wandering down some of the new laneways that have opened up. Shafto Lane, Kings Lane. I think theres a James Squires Brew Pub on the corner of one of them. There has been a recent explosion of small bars (mostly cocktail) in Perth due to the introduction of a new liquor licence a couple of years ago. Not always easily found as they can be tucked away slightly, but if thats something you (or your missus) is into then worth a gander.

Sorry for the long post, and if im preaching to the experienced then please excuse my over-enthusiasm.

Hope you enjoy it! :beer:

Wow... Thanks guys!

I have jotted down a lot of your suggestions in the wife's travel book thingy... loooks like there are a lot of things to do, perhaps too many for a week. Will definitely try to take on as many as we can though.

No shortages of places for a pint either by the looks of it, cheeky or not! And thanks for your long-ish post, fodder, much appreciated! Hope all you guys get thirsty that week..

Don't forget to catch up with that Speedie character - who claims to be in Perth :wacko:

Come a day earlier - west coast brewers monthly meeting is on the 9th

Oh really? Just so happens I fly in on the 9th... what time and where and are blow ins welcome?

From the website

Club meeting are held on the second Monday of every month from 7:30pm at the Rivervale Community Centre, Corner of Surrey Rd and Francisco St, Rivervale.

Guest are definately most welcome, bring along a glass and a bottle of your finest brew!

So what time are you arriving and where are you staying? I'm sure someone would be able to pick up on the way through.

Also happy to meet up for a drink during the week

Awesome...have been given the green light from SWMBO to go along if I'm welcome so I'll have to organise some tasty treats to bring along.. Not sure where we are staying yet, still waiting for the conference agenda but it very well could be in the Freo area. Will let you know when it gets a bit closer. Cheers for the heads up, cd

Sounding like a jam packed few days.

There is also a nice brewery down south called Cowaramup Brewing with grass and play equipment for the kids and 4 nice beers.not a lot of choice but was super relaxing there. Also Candy cow is just down the road mmm cola bottles

Sounding like a jam packed few days.

Sorry, in my usual scatterbrained fashion, I neglected to mention that we are in Perth (9)10-13th for a conference and then are planning to trek down to Margaret River on the 14th and back to Perth to fly home on the 19th... so we have a bit of time up our sleeves, but still won't be enough obviously

Back