Saving A Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
I basically followed the recipe from the Brigalow kit and it's come out insipid after fermentation. After doing a search (which I should of done first :rolleyes: ), I guess the only thing I can do is add some Bundaberg GB Cordial to up the sugar and ginger content.

What's the best way of doing it? Just add it into the fermenter (don't have a second one) or 'prime' with it for each bottle?

Once your ginger beer is cold and carbonated, you may find it more to your taste. The carbonation will give your drink bite.

There was a fair bit of discussion about adding cordials to ginger beers. These products have preservatives in them that may be enough to inhibit your yeast activities. I don't know the result to this question.

Without knowing the exact amount of sucrose in the cordial, it is impossible to recommend how much to prime with. Too much and it will be bottle bomb territory, too little and it will be flat. PLus it may just shut your yeast down.

You could try adding it to the primary, but it may just shut your yeast down.

Easiest way is to bottle this batch, drink it and next time, do a search before hand.

If you do a search on the forum for Bunderberg or, I think Buderim was another brand ginger beer cordial, you may find some more information.

Yeah I'll probably take a look athe shop and decide if it's worth the risk.

Going on this thread, You shouldn't have any problems using the cordial. I used the Buderim product to prime a batch of 7.5% GB a couple of years ago, adding 250mL Buderim Refresher cordial and 130g caster sugar and it worked out beautifully. My recipe is here.

[edit] Speaking of which, I've still got a slab of this stuff in storage somewhere. Should be awesome now it's 3 years old!

Going on this thread, You shouldn't have any problems using the cordial. I used the Buderim product to prime a batch of 7.5% GB a couple of years ago, adding 250mL Buderim Refresher cordial and 130g caster sugar and it worked out beautifully. My recipe is here.

[edit] Speaking of which, I've still got a slab of this stuff in storage somewhere. Should be awesome now it's 3 years old!
Priming definately sounds the go, as I don't rack or keg.

I made up a brigalow kit once
Terrable taste for the first 6 weeks
then the fake sugar taste dies away and you are left with a Decent ginger beer.

Next time try the following

1 x Coopers Ginger Beer
500g Fresh ginger 50% grated and 50% sliced
3 tsp of dry ginger
125g buderum ginger honey
sliced up birds eye chillis' (5 - 10 depending on bite)
3 whole cloves
150g brown sugar
1 whole lemon sqeezed

boil up some water
add in the lemon juice,honey, chilli and fresh ginger.
after 15-20 minutes add in the brown sugar,clove and dry ginger.
boil another 10-15minutes.

Strain into fermenter (or dont strain i have done both and it still works fine)
1kg - 1.5kg of raw sugar (depending on the strength you are chasing)

Bottle after 2weeks
Do not drink for 6weeks minimum.
ENJOY!!!

thats my .24 c

I basically followed the recipe from the Brigalow kit and it's come out insipid after fermentation. After doing a search (which I should of done first :rolleyes: ), I guess the only thing I can do is add some Bundaberg GB Cordial to up the sugar and ginger content.

What's the best way of doing it? Just add it into the fermenter (don't have a second one) or 'prime' with it for each bottle?
I have one in the secondary now.
After tasting the standard kit after a week I was not pleased with the taste, so boiled 1ltr water 150g fresh ginger, 5 cloves, 1 lemon juice & boiled for 1 hour.
Added at rack and improoved imensly.
Will keg & enjoy next weekend. It is fairly low on alc% aswell.

Do you think adding cordial to the primary will be fine or will I risk infection?

Back