Save Me --- Shorter Airlock Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazmodik

Reaction score
I have a 120L F&P bar fridge which recently died, and I was about to throw it out when I had an idea. I thought it would make the perfect insulated fermentation cupboard.

Anyway ... I did a quick sizing and found that it would fit the fermeter in it nicely, (once I took out the freezer box). I blissfully set about removing the offending article and tested the fermenter in it. A perfect fit !! .....but ....then that I realised that I forgot to take into account the length of the air lock.

At the moment, I have the standard Coopers S bend type which wont fit in without bending over at a 45 degree angle and making it less than air tight.

Q. How long are the 3 piece air locks (See Link). (i.e how much do they protrude above the fermenter?). Are their any other really short air locks?
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=893

Another idea I had was running some hose from the fermenter hole, and having the airlock placed somewhere in the fridge? Can anyone see any issues with this? Will it work ok if the air lock is lower?

What do you think? Any other ideas?

I have a 120L F&P bar fridge which recently died, and I was about to throw it out when I had an idea. I thought it would make the perfect insulated fermentation cupboard.

Anyway ... I did a quick sizing and found that it would fit the fermeter in it nicely, (once I took out the freezer box). I blissfully set about removing the offending article and tested the fermenter in it. A perfect fit !! .....but ....then that I realised that I forgot to take into account the length of the air lock.

At the moment, I have the standard Coopers S bend type which wont fit in without bending over at a 45 degree angle and making it less than air tight.

Q. How long are the 3 piece air locks (See Link). (i.e how much do they protrude above the fermenter?). Are their any other really short air locks?

Another idea I had was running some hose from the fermenter hole, and having the airlock placed somewhere in the fridge? Can anyone see any issues with this? Will it work ok if the air lock is lower?

Find some sort of right angle fitting that will fit snuggly in your existing hole. Then run a tube from that into a tub of water. Like a blow of tube, if you are expecting a serious crazy ferementing brew.

Cheers, Tae.

I don't know about dimensions but they are a fair bit shorter than your s bend type.
I use them for ease of cleaning and because my fridge has the same issue with s bend types height wise...

The other option is a blow off tube scenario. Search around for pics of that to get an idea of what to do.

or go the 'glad wrap over the top' way instead of a lid and airlock. plenty of guys do it.
blow off tube is your other option. Just length of plastic tubing into airlock then put the other end into a dish of sterilised water.

I don't bother with an airlock any more, just use a sterilised bottle top over the airlock hole with a spray of no rinse steriliser on the top of the fermenter whenever you rack, etc

Third for gladwrap. Makes special cuddles more interesting too.

BTW, if my wife is watching - Hi Honey - just kidding.

Cheers for the fast replies guys ... I'll have a crack at making a blow off tube then ...

Cant think of a better way to spend a sunny public holiday afternoon than setting up brew gear and drinking a few!

dude - just put a peice of gwrap over it - you alsoget to watch the yeasties at work, which is fun.

+1 more for gladwrap

all i ever use now

and you can easily see whats happening inside the old fermenter.

maybe he holds a soft spot for the 'bloop bloop bloop' of the airlock. i know I love that sound. 'bloop...... bloop'......blop blop blop (squeezing the lid down) :lol:

Hello spaz.

The three piece airlock I got from Ross is 12cm long and protrudes about 11cm outside the fermenter lid.

I like the bloop bloop too, but it only lasts for a few days. I like (moar) looking at how the krausen's going on and stuff.

My S bend was slightly too long so I just cut the top wider mouther bit off (just above the S). Maybe that would be enough for your fridge too.

Havent even got enough space for that. (barely 1cm above top of the fermenter lid which dips down about 3 cm below the rim in the middle).

What I've ended up doing --> got some 6mm keg tubing, and attached it to the cut off end of an old Airlock so it plugs securely into the fermenter), and then ran that to another airlock which I have neatly hung from a hook connected to the top of the fridge near the side of the fermenter. Looks pretty good actually. :D The 6mm tubing wasnt easy to get onto the airlocks even after heating it, so I think its pretty air tight.
Will start a brew in it tomorrow night and see how she bubbles.

Oh .. and I do love the bloop bloop .... Even if its just so I know my lid is sealed nicely.

If I get sick of that setup I'll go to gladwrap ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions anyway....

+ 1 for ditching the airlock and using a cap, lid or similar.

BB

If you use the glad wrap and put a hole in it be careful not to get any driping from the old freezer section onto the glad wrap lid. This can easily get into the fermenter through the hole and spoil the beer

Kabooby :)

Ive never put a hole in my glad wrap, and thankful nothing has gone wrong

There is a bit of bulging in the gladwrap but so far all has gone well

Is it possible to put a lid over the top of the hole to help prevent any infection issues?

SPonge

Hey spazmodik,

I second the idea of using a blow-off type arrangement - you'll likely need one someday anyhoo. Also, just wanted to verify that you're going to be putting some ice bricks or similar in the cabinet with your fermenter. Otherwise it isn't going to do much for you.

Latest posts

Back