Save Me From Wasting Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esssee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this question gets asked a bit, but I need some advise to potentially save me from wasting some Liquid Yeast.

I am planning to do a BIAB Belgian Wit with 3kg Pilsner, 2kg Raw Wheat and 0.2kg Rolled Oats (not too sure about this though).

I have some Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier hoping that this will really MAKE the beer.

Anyhow, I am wondering what it would be like just as is, or do I really need to add Orange Peel and Coriander. My main hope is to get a nice Lemony Tartness that I have noted in a really cold Hoegaarden, or the Naked Ale at Young and Jacksons.

I am a bit concerned, as last time I tried a Partial with Orange Peel and Coriander, I got horrible Ham like flavours, and had to throw it out.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Orange zest only (no white pith) fresh crushed coriander seed (dried), add to boil 10 minutes out from end.

To add to Manticles good advice, if you can get them use the Indian Corriander seeds, they are oval in shape (not round) and have a really nice citrusy aroma to them.

Andrew

I used dried Tangerine peel from an Asian store. Not perfect for style but close enough for me and no 'ham'.

IMO the peel and the corriander can be problematic. I had a celery with one and a ham with another - so I gave up on them and just relied on the yeast, and it tasted bang on like Hoegaarden. I can't taste much of either of them in the real thing. The yeast and the wheat give the citrus flavour anyway, and the phenolics as well.

If you are unsure, I'd err on the side of leaving them out. There's too much variation on the products origin, strength and correctness.

Thanks guys,

Nick, I may just do that, and perhaps I'll brew up another one with Orange and Coriander to drop onto the yeast cake.

Andrew, might have to head to the local (20kms away) Indian Spice shop.

Stef, I knew someone would lead with that one.

Could be interesting.

Thanks again.

IMO the peel and the corriander can be problematic.
I had a celery with one and a ham with another - so I gave up on them and just relied on the yeast, and it tasted bang on like Hoegaarden. I can't taste much of either of them in the real thing. The yeast and the wheat give the citrus flavour anyway, and the phenolics as well.

If you are unsure, I'd err on the side of leaving them out. There's too much variation on the products origin, strength and correctness.

i agree with leave it out, tried it twice , both times i lost the true flavor of my beer, wouldnt use the peel or corriander.

stick with just the beer first.
fergi

Back