Santa Came Early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelTearsOnMyTongue

Reaction score
I casually made mention recently that it was getting too warm to ferment and store beers without a dedicated fridge in the shed (my last brew was reaching high twenties at the end of second stage).

Got home tonight and my Daughter and wife Blind folded me and took me out to the shed to reveal my early Christmas present (too big to hide it).

Fridge1a.JPG

:D God I luv em!!!!

Now I have a question.

Is it possible to alter this fridge so that the top part (the Fridge part) is a cooler for fermenting, conditioning and storing beers, and the bottom part (the freezer part) is a chiller for keeping beers nice and cold?

(When I tried to search on this topic I got half a million hits so I dont know where to begin there)

Also, is it possible or realistic to maybe divert some of the colder air to another insulated box for fermentation and conditioning.

If the Freezer bit is more of a hinderance ( less fridge room) I may still be able to change it.

look forward to your replies.

cheers

ATOMT

Depending on you skill and the design of the fridge you should be able to modify it to have the top part run at 18 or 10 deg and the bottom at 10 or 4 deg instead of 4 and -18 deg. if you turn the top to the lowest setting and leave a thermometer in it , it may settle on 10 deg anyway (it might not) You could move the top controller to the bottom and get a different sensor for the top that covers 8 to 20 deg so you can use it for both yeasts and have the bottom at for for lagering and keeping bottles ready for drinking. Give a case of you best to the local fridge mechanic and see what he/she can do for you.

Depending on you skill and the design of the fridge you should be able to modify it to have the top part run at 18 or 10 deg and the bottom at 10 or 4 deg instead of 4 and -18 deg. if you turn the top to the lowest setting and leave a thermometer in it , it may settle on 10 deg anyway (it might not) You could move the top controller to the bottom and get a different sensor for the top that covers 8 to 20 deg so you can use it for both yeasts and have the bottom at for for lagering and keeping bottles ready for drinking. Give a case of you best to the local fridge mechanic and see what he/she can do for you.

THanks Brewtus. Ill look into that.

ATOMT

Latest posts

Back