Sanitizing Beer Lines.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjn200

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any advice? Pressurizing a keg to move a bit of no-rinse through the lines seems a waste of gas. Cleaning method for the keg will be napisan if that helps with peoples ideas/solutions.

Ta

G.

go the gas, other wise a O2 in the keg or make a weed sprayer type set-up, I have JG fittings so it's easy to pull line of disconnect.

Hi all,

Any advice? Pressurizing a keg to move a bit of no-rinse through the lines seems a waste of gas. Cleaning method for the keg will be napisan if that helps with peoples ideas/solutions.

Ta

G.
For what its worth , you don't need to fully pressurise a keg to clean it....
My usual method is to fill with 2-3 litres of water and napisan or oxyper...let it sit for 30 mins , shaking occasionly...then gas up...turn upside down and use a screw to press the posts to let some cleaning solution out...then tip back up and use my pluto or fridge taps to drain...
I then rinse a few times with water...add another litre or two , andgas it up and drain...thru the pluto...
I then de-gas , open and a good spray of iodopher....then put the lid back on , gas up and then a plastic bag over the top , to keep it clean...and store
As i said , you don't need to have it at serving pressure...just enough to move your liquids through...

go the gas, other wise a O2 in the keg or make a weed sprayer type set-up, I have JG fittings so it's easy to pull line of disconnect.

Weed sprayer....interesting, just bodge the beer line into it some how. Like that one.

So napisan in the keg, gas it through the lines and tap then disconnect from keg (rinse and sanitize keg) connect beer line to sprayer, pull some no-rinse through.

Cheers guys!

Napisan or the home brand version, cheap and works!

This is what I do but use a party keg. Double the amount if using a normal corny.

Add 1 litre boiling water to the clean (party) keg then shake, purge briefly through all outlets then connect to beer line & run through tap (which has been stripped & cleaned beforehand). Empty all.
Add 1 litre boiling water + 2ml Phos acid or similar to (party) keg, shake, connect beer line & run through tap & collect for further use in the future.
No gas used whatsoever. Piece of piss!

TP

This is what I do but use a party keg. Double the amount if using a normal corny.

Add 1 litre boiling water to the clean (party) keg then shake, purge briefly through all outlets then connect to beer line & run through tap (which has been stripped & cleaned beforehand). Empty all.
Add 1 litre boiling water + 2ml Phos acid or similar to (party) keg, shake, connect beer line & run through tap & collect for further use in the future.
No gas used whatsoever. Piece of piss!

TP

Just curious. If you don't use any gas whatsoever then how do you manage to "connect beer line & run through your tap"?

I just use Keg Cleaner from the LHBS or a napisan equivalent. Fill keg almost right up then use barely any gas to push some through the lines and taps.

Just curious. If you don't use any gas whatsoever then how do you manage to "connect beer line & run through your tap"?

I just use Keg Cleaner from the LHBS or a napisan equivalent. Fill keg almost right up then use barely any gas to push some through the lines and taps.

If you put hot water into a cool keg and get the lid on quick then shake it up the air inside the keg will heat up and expand creating pressure. You can quite decent bit of pressure this way... Definately enough to flush some lines.

Second time around though you need to give the air inside a chance to cool a bit or it won't work as well.

i use gas now most of the time...

but i also have a garden sprayer set up at the back of the cupboard that gets dragged out when all kegs full o beer.

i got the cheap 10 buck garden sprayer from the big green shed...

just take out the dodgy plastic hose that's meant to go to the wand, push in some John Guest and tighten up the original fitting, it works a treat.

then my cleaning regime is...

mix up some PBW as per instructions in your pressure sprayer,

hook up the JG line to your tap system

pump your sprayer up and open your tap letting the PBW run through the system.

shut tap and pump sprayer up a bit more...

come back next day.

rinse out sprayer a few times with water then fill it up with Starsan and repeat the whole process again,

come back again tomorrow and hook up your beer.

come back again tomorrow and check if beer still pouring okay.

come back again tomorrow and check if beer still tastes good

come back again tomorrow and check if beer is lonely....

The hot water makes the air inside the closed keg expand and this extra pressure is what helps push the still hot liquid out. I do this with just boiling water prior to filling a keg with beer.
When I use PBW and line cleaner though, I use my garden sprayer. I took the spray end off and just connected a gas disconnect to it. It builds up a lot of pressure if you pump it up til the sprayer relief valve releases! Does anyone know what sort of pressure it will get up to?

HC

edit: beaten by PFS!!

Back