Sanitation For Dry Hopping?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can siphon the beer out using just a length of sanitised tube. An auto siphon makes it easier, but it's not strictly necessary.

Put some tubing in/over the tap, something long enough that it will extend up over the level of beer in the fermenter. With the end elevated, gently blow into the tube until you hear a bubble or two in the fermenter. That should unblock it.

nice! though i might use an air compressor or something with my foul breath :)

Put some tubing in/over the tap, something long enough that it will extend up over the level of beer in the fermenter. With the end elevated, gently blow into the tube until you hear a bubble or two in the fermenter. That should unblock it.

I had a very blocked tap a while ago and I did just that, except I didn't even bother with the tubing, I just stuck my mouth over the tap and blew.

minds out of the gutter fellas :lol:

I have sediment reducers on two of my fermenters. While they work in getting rid of a lot of things I find they are more hassle than they're worth, particularly if you rack and/or use finings or some other clarification methosd. Last time I was trying to rack to secondary my tap kept blocking so I simply tipped the fermenter gently on its back, removed the tap, took out the reducer then re-inserted it. You have to be careful but it worked fine. I'm not sure I'd want to blow into my brew when I'm spending so much time trying to keep fetid things away.

The small amount of dry hopping I've done has been hop pellets direct into fermenter.

If you dry hop most of the crud ends up in the trub anyhow.
I've dry hopped the odd brew and i no longer use the tap sediment reducers, i found with some brews the reducer just clogs up, i end up taking it off during bottling so i can get the job finished.
That said i have had the odd green bit in the beer, it has no flavor so doesn't affect the brew.
If you were really worried you could probably grind it into a powder and mix it with enough liquid to pitch it into the brew and let it dissipate.

Latest posts

Back