Sandgroper Christmas Case 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hop batter fried chicken. What was the process and recipe ? Think I've seen something on the BN before, but interested to replicate what we had at the swap, as well as the hop.

The hop batter fried chicken. What was the process and recipe ? Think I've seen something on the BN before, but interested to replicate what we had at the swap, as well as the hop.
Mika the chicken was based on the BN Shake-Bake Hop fried Chicken with a few deviations of course!!

Here is my revised recipe
Hopped Buttermilk Marinade
2 x 1kg free range organic (Oops normal store bought) chickens, washed, dried and cut into 12 pieces
1 litre buttermilk
1 bunch fresh thyme , washed, dried and chopped
1 bunch Italian leaf parsley, washed, dried and chopped
6 10 ea cloves garlic, peeled (the garlic I had was a bit puny so I put about 10 cloves in)
2 tablespoons kosher Murray river pink salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
4 tablespoons Amarillo hop powder* A mixture of Galaxy and Motueka hops 50/50 were used here

I prepped the chicken after work the night before so it had about 18 hours marinating time.

I ground up about 30g of each hop variety in an old blade type coffee grinder and had ample powder left over,
Note You will never want to grind coffee again in the grinder !

Chicken coating shake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
1 cup malt flour (favorite brewers malt ground fine into a powder) I used Munich Malt and milled multiple times with a Marga mill closing the gap down after each pass to its finest setting and sifting out the husks as I went, I cant remember how much I milled but I ended up with two cops worth of powdered "Malteser Mix"
2 teaspoons kosher Murray river pink salt
2 teaspoons Amarillo hop powder* I prepared two separate coating mixes one used Galaxy and the second with Motueka

6-10 cups vegetable shortening or lard
20L of various oils Canola, vegetable, olive and a dash of truffle oil.

The very first trial pieces were coated with the Motueka coating mix.
The tasters called for more hops so I used the Galaxy mix and then threw the remainder of the hop powders I had ground up into this mix which upped the IBU's significantly and took it into IPA chicken territory, In future I would stick with the 2 teaspoon recommendation.
The oil temp started out at about 180C measured with my IR thermometer which was way too hot and the chicken browned very quickly.
We let the oil temp drop to the 165-170C range and it cooked slower, I later found out that the IR thermometer was reading about 15-20C higher than Simon's thermometer on a stick :(

Champ !
Cheers for that Darryn.
I don't know which version I had, but the hops were certainly noticeable and were a bit intense if you had just a piece of skin, but skin and chicken combined was delicious.

Champ !
Cheers for that Darryn.
I don't know which version I had, but the hops were certainly noticeable and were a bit intense if you had just a piece of skin, but skin and chicken combined was delicious.
Must have been the IPA version!
I could definitely taste Galaxy in that batter/skin mix

Hey Clay, your mate Steggles.... was he once one of those Downhill mountain biking nutcases?

Latest posts

Back