Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my god is that capricola on the left?!!!!!

there are 4 caps hanging, two that can be seen next two other fillets and two outside the right of the photo.

vacuum packed the little salamis last night.

4 caps, 4cheeks, 1pancetta, 3belly and 2 fillets off the back are still hanging.

pls tell me your in melb kirem! i'll be over at 4.30pm this arvo....

pls tell me your in melb kirem! i'll be over at 4.30pm this arvo....

6 hours north west on the border.

the cheeks are called boofalata or something sounding similar, any Italians can correct or confirm me on this one?

04072009268.jpg

gearing up for another batch on salami :icon_drool2:

View attachment 28571

gearing up for another batch on salami :icon_drool2:
Hey HairO, youre an absolute salami maniac but Im with you. Cant wait to swap. Much like swapping beer I think it will be good opportunity to get some recipe ideas of others first hand.

Just on a side note I found the best knot to tie the links (i.e. the middles not the ends) is a clove hitch. It works like a pulley system so it requires very little effort and it is self locking (one half hitch to be sure). Just a word of warning; Its very powerful so over do it too much and you will cut your salami in two.

Yep i with you peels bring on the swap :icon_cheers:

how many people are goin be in this swap mate ? :huh:

are we recruiting anyone from the forum to participate ? :blink:

Yep i with you peels bring on the swap :icon_cheers:

how many people are goin be in this swap mate ? :huh:

are we recruiting anyone from the forum to participate ? :blink:
Just you and me so far. Happy to get others involved or just pop up for a beer and we will cut some up and have a tasting (read pig-out) session.

All up about 75 salami's were hanging in the garage until some of them decided they couldnt handle the weight and actually broke in half!! ie the actual sausage snapped in half!!!! I lost about 4 or 5 which is disappointing! The skins must have had an issue as some of the strands I hung had 5 salami's on them and they didnt break and others only three. Obviously if I had hung them all seperately then none would have snapped but I didnt have room for that.

They have been hagning just on a week, look good and smell great!

nice pics merc are you intrested in joining the swap with myself & peels mate ?

Mercs Own,

Two thumbs up for this, couldn't have made it simpler. I know an old Italian bloke from Dromana, VIC and he has his own hobby vineyard and makes his own wine, grappa etc. He also makes his own salami. I asked him how to make it and he hasn't told a soul apparently. He says it's something you have to learn, trial and error sort of thing.

Definitely giving this a go.

Cheers
Kev.

Hi,

I made about 5kg with my father in-law a few years ago but found after a little while they dried out and become too hard.

For those making larger quantities for the months ahead, how do you keep them fresh or store them for the longer period.

This has rekindled my interest again.

hey thirsty i vacum seal all mine they last for a good 12 months like that without getting any harder

14072009282.jpg

14072009283.jpg

Dont you believe it the 5 second rule? :lol:

Absolutely however these ones snapped in half or split and I couldnt restuff them so in the bin they went. I did save parts of them my tieing them off as little short ones.

I will start spraying them down with redwine this week to keep the outer skin moist so as it doesnt dry out quicker then the inside. Then in about 3 weeks or so I will be taking them to my butcher and cryovac them.

Sure I will be up for a salami swap.

Latest posts

Back