Saison Stress

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juddy

Reaction score
This afternoon will see my first attempt at brewing an AG Saison. I was hoping to use Wyeast 3724 but the starter I've created is acting like none i've done before. I have kept the temp a little higher than usual as per the advice from topics here, but there seems to have been very little activity. No visable krausen, very minimal air lock activity and generally maintains a very cloudy colour. The only thing that makes me think it may be alright is the small amount of trub on the bottom of the container. So given the lack of alternatives at hand I will probably pitch and hope. But if it fails is there any alternatives in dry yeast?

Thanking and Hoping

Juddy

Sounds normal for this yeast Juddy. Just have to keep it warm (around 30 degrees) and be very patient. You need to use it for authenticity. No dry yeast will cut the mustard. ;)

Warren -

Thanks Warren

After reading yours and others past post about this yeast I half expected that everything was OK! Just seeking out alternatives, but it would appear there are none!

Thanks again...

The yeast may show sluggish tendancies for the last 80% of the ferment but should still fire propperly in a starter even if it does have a tiny visual krausen.

What happens when you give the starter a swirl?? You should still see a good outgassing.

How long since you pitched the culture to starter?

Brent

Borret
The culture was smacked on friday and the started on saturday. When I swirl the container I do get a lot of outgassing. So once again it would appear that things are normal for this yeast. Will be interesting to see what happens once pitched. Will pitch it at 25 degrees and leave it there for a while before ramping it up to close to 30 degrees. Does this sound right?

Juddy

Cool, sounds all good then. Hope it goes well. A truly great yeast.

Brent

Spot on Juddy. Pitch around 25 and "let it go" :)

Try and hold it around 30 degrees for at least 2 weeks. Be patient, it will take a while to finish but it will indeed finish. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Sorry Borry... Just missed your latest post. :D

Let's all repeat it to ourselves... If you love it... Let it go. :beerbang:

Warren -

Off topic ;) what was your grain bill for the Saison Juddy?
And agree with the above, it is slower then some yeasts but will eat all that can be eaten given time.
Love Sasion :) .

I have used WLP 565 for the last two, is it the same yeast, anyone?

My Xmas case uses the WLP565 yeast.
I let it ferment at 19degC for two weeks with and OG ~1.06x and it got down to 1.031 when I raised the temp to 25degC and it finished (1.010) in another week.
Great yeast, just needs some temp and time.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks for the advice one and all.
Bindi the grain bill is as follows and is based losely on Ray Mills recipe.
Be gentle as its my first attempt remember...

Summertime Saison

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.60
Anticipated OG: 1.067 Plato: 16.45
Anticipated EBC: 16.7
Anticipated IBU: 35.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
68.2 4.50 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 317.42 4
15.2 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 317.42 15
7.6 0.50 kg. Weyermann Wheat Malt Australia 334.13 4
1.5 0.10 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 284.01 350
7.6 0.50 kg. Candi Sugar (clear) Generic 384.25 1

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 4.90 19.3 60 min.
30.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 4.90 9.9 30 min.
20.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 4.90 3.4 15 min.
35.00 g. Saaz Pellet 3.40 2.6 1 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 gm Dried Mandarin Peel Spice 15 Min.(boil)
10.00 gm Cardamon Pod Spice 15 Min.(boil)
7.00 gm Corriander Seed Spice 15 Min.(boil)
3.00 Unit(s)Camonmile teabag Herb 15 Min.(boil)

Juddy

My Xmas case uses the WLP565 yeast.
I let it ferment at 19degC for two weeks with and OG ~1.06x and it got down to 1.031 when I raised the temp to 25degC and it finished (1.010) in another week.
Great yeast, just needs some temp and time.

Beers,
Doc

Agreed. I've only brewed one but I used a two-stage fermentation on it (with 3724). It went ballistic for the first week at 23-24C, dropping from around 1.052 to 1.018ish. It slowed to a crawl then so I just let go of temp control, letting the fermenter rise to 27-30C. Like Doc's mine finished a 1.010.

Don't be scared of the higher temps, but by that same token I don't think you need them during the preliminary stage of fermentation.

My experience with the Wyeast strain got good activity for a week at 25+deg then I ramped it upto 29 for another 3 weeks to reach a terminal gravity of 1.004 from an original 1.055ish.
Straight to bottle for another 4 weeks warm conditioning at 25deg and decent priming rates..

Brent

Because... :) {insert warm and fuzzy music here}

If you love it you will let it go*

*Ref: Farmhouse Ales.

Warren -

10g of cardamom is a LOT (unless it's stale)

i would cut down the spices there especially if youre fermenting hot

otherwise should be tasty

Judging by the smell emanating from my rapidly bubbling fermentor that is currently sitting at 22 degrees ambient, I think you may be right neonmeate!

However, fermentation crisis averted!

I live and learn...

Juddy

Judging by the smell emanating from my rapidly bubbling fermentor that is currently sitting at 22 degrees ambient, I think you may be right neonmeate!

However, fermentation crisis averted!

I live and learn...

Juddy

I'll be fine Juddy. Don't worry. It's a Saison. Good on you for giving it a go.

Scott

Back