Saflager S23 ferment time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

Put down on the 18th, in a plastic carboy in my fridge @ 13 degrees, not using airlock sealed with gladwrap which is still a solid balloon.

21 litre kit and kilo batch, what's the usual time this takes, used to kit and / or ale yeasts that normally have job done after days.

How long does this yeast usually take to do the job?

No one can give you an accurate answer to that question - there are too many variables.
How fresh was the yeast
Did you uses a fresh pack or was it rehydrated, a recultured or a slurry...
Just the one pack, manufacture probably recommends two
Have you taken hydrometer readings, anything else is guess work.
Any aeration
Many more

For one packet of healthy yeast pitched into a 1.050(ish) wort, at a sensible temperature, 5-7 days should see you most of the way there. If you pitched the recommended amount of yeast as an active starter into a well aerated wort 3-5 days.
Hard part is pinning down the variables. Good Idea to read the speck sheet.
Mark

Attachments

• SaflagerS-23.pdf
    174.9 KB · Views: 111
Yeast was about 2 months old, rehydrated with a 1 litre starter.

I know this will upset some people but - rehydrating is a benefit if you do everything properly, if you don't you will kill a lot of your yeast.
There is a big difference between making a starter and rehydrating yeast.
If you are making a starter, before you add it to your wort make sure it's attemperated (at the same temperature as the wort). To be really useful a starter should be actively fermenting, then if necessary add small portions of wort with stirring and temperature checks, until it is close to the temperature of the wort.
By 2 months old, are we talking a 2 month old unopened packet or a slurry that's been sitting in the fridge (dying) for two months?
Mark

Hey Guys.

Put down on the 18th, in a plastic carboy in my fridge @ 13 degrees, not using airlock sealed with gladwrap which is still a solid balloon.

21 litre kit and kilo batch, what's the usual time this takes, used to kit and / or ale yeasts that normally have job done after days.

How long does this yeast usually take to do the job?
In my experince it takes 8 to 10 days to fully ferment. I use 3 packs for 40 litres, rehydrate and ferment at 13.5degC

Just took 2 consecutive hydrometer reading 1.011 with a starting SG of 1.052 so all good. Doing Dycotel rest now.

Latest posts

Back