Safety Seals Are Not !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnheiderich

Reaction score
:eek:
Ok here is the scoop I just had a bang in the shed... Went out to investigate and a 750 mil bottle with a PET safety seal has exploded. I was under the impression that these seals vented under pressure rather than exploding? Or does the "safety" description apply to the ring that comes away when you open the cap kind of like tamper evident? Anyway I thought that you may want to know about my not so safe bottle.

Bottle was a 750mil Saxby Diet Ginger Beer Bottle

Cap was a standard PET cap from LHBS

I have taken precautions to prevent this happening with the other beers of the same batch, In the outside fridge and will drink as fast as possible (Belgium Strong Ale) lucky I am on holidays.

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Bad luck about the bottle. Have you considered depressurizing the other bottles from the same batch?

I thought the safety seal was just for tamper evidence.

regards,
Scott

:eek:
Ok here is the scoop I just had a bang in the shed... Went out to investigate and a 750 mil bottle with a PET safety seal has exploded. I was under the impression that these seals vented under pressure rather than exploding? Or does the "safety" description apply to the ring that comes away when you open the cap kind of like tamper evident? Anyway I thought that you may want to know about my not so safe bottle.

Bottle was a 750mil Saxby Diet Ginger Beer Bottle

Cap was a standard PET cap from LHBS

I have taken precautions to prevent this happening with the other beers of the same batch, In the outside fridge and will drink as fast as possible (Belgium Strong Ale) lucky I am on holidays.

Shawn

Shit Shawn, i thought we were in for a great thread after reading the first 13 words, i thought you lucky bugger :p

Bad luck about the bottle , maybe you should do what SAH has recomended.

Rook

MUrahhhhahahahah

They are definately not safety seals. They are tamper-evident seals. The seal on the bottom has absolutely nothing to do with the thread on the cap or bottle.

But I guess you know that now :p

hahahahaha, LMAO.
I'd release a little pressure from all bottles - PET bottles are easy enough to guess if the pressure is OK by the squeeze test.

Latest posts

Back