Safety Mod

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
When I got my nasa and brewstand I put up a pic of it all proud as punch and some nerdy safety wanker said he didn't like the look of the orange hose that close to the burner. HA! I said. It stood up to about 20 or 30 AG brews and then one day getting close to the boil my wife and I heard a strange popping sound from the nasa. We got down on our haunches and were bloody shocked to see flame shooting out of the side of the orange hose. Mr nerdy safety wanker was right it just took a lot of brews before it happened. So as I didn't want to lose 46 litres of beer it had to be a running repair. I reversed the hose and used amalgam tape covered by gaffa tape on the burn hole which was now at the regulator end. Weird thing here is the next brew day I hadn't found a permanent solution and the other end melted after 5 minutes! More tape and we got that one finished, still not a good situation.

The other day in Bundy I wanted to get a copper pipe swaged and bent up. Popped into a Ken's plumbing, a big plumbing supply joint up here and asked if they could make one up. No was the answer but we have a guys number that may make one up for you. I ring this guy's number and tell him what I need and that it's for brewing from grain and he says Ken's plumbing should be able to help you, I say I'm outside Ken's plumbing and they say they can't, he says 'Bullshit, I'll be there in 3 minutes.' He was there in 2 minutes. Get's out of his car all smiles and says 'You must be Andrew the award winning brewer from Bundaberg!'

I tell him I'm not but that I'm friends with aforementioned Andrew and it turns out he was at Eagle Heights brewery last weekend and told the head brewer he was a Bundaberg boy was told Andrew's beer would be on tap there soon. Anyway I digress, I show him my burnt hose and into Ken's we go. 'You guys are f#ckin hopeless' he says to the staff and walks behind the counter and disappears into the rows of plumbing stuff. Here's what he came back with:
pipe2.JPGpipe.JPG

He plonks this down on the counter along with some loctite style glue which was going to be $18 and when I ask him why I can't use thread tape he tells me because you don't know how to use it and it might leak and I had nothing to do with helping you make this etc. I told him I didn't want the expensive glue and may have to take this thing apart for maintenance or whatever so he takes the time to show me the correct way to use thread tape. I reckon this guy is bloody tops just quietly. Wouldn't take a dollar from me for his time and left the shop to go to his next job. Legend. So if anybody ever needs any gas fitting done in the Bundy area PM me and I'll tell you his business name and number.
Here's a close up of one end of the pipe:
closeup.JPG

I'd prefer a copper pipe all the way to the gas bottle but this is Bundy we are talking about and I was in a hurry and in town for one day only. I know Lilo had a hose burn through on him recently so maybe you could use this method if you don't have it solved yet.

Cheers
Henno

Very nice FJ!

You might want to think about shaving those legs thou? :lol:

Great post Henno. Good to see there's still top blokes out there.

Anyway, back to me. Do you have red claw in your dam? Been eating them all weekend. Yum!

Cheers,

Sean

Looks like i will be changing my orange hoses, i was in the if they put them that close it will be fine basket but noticed the hoses getting almost untouchable last brew session.

Thanks Henno i will try and make up some sort of copper manifold with the expert help of a few gas fitter mates.

By the way what was the top secret nack to thread tap i thought you wind it around the thread fit together and waalaa?

Kleiny

Great post Henno. Good to see there's still top blokes out there.

Anyway, back to me. Do you have red claw in your dam? Been eating them all weekend. Yum!

Cheers,

Sean

Not as yet baldy. There are red claw and blue claw, one of them burrows holes in your dam and may cause it to leak and the other one doesn't. People keep telling me the redclaw are diggers and then somebody else will tell me the opposite so I don't know which one to stock. The other day we put our first bass in though. I will get barra and some kind of crustacean as soon as I can.

One of my austar customers gave us the bass, he also had these swimming around outside his lounge room, he said this one was the smallest one he had seen in 4 years, most of them are 90cm to 1m! It took me 5 casts to land my first barra. Interestingly he also said his barra taste good, he gives them to a mate who has a restaurant in Bundy and has had no complaints. His theory being that Awoonga and Monduran dam barra eat boney bream and that makes them taste shit not the fresh water. He has no boney bream in his dam.

barra.JPG

So what the secret to thread tape Henno?

Brad

It was no biggy really, I kinda already knew. It was basically the direction it has to go on right hand threads so it doesn't bunch up when you are screwing it in, he also reckoned, which my plumber here in Agnes has also told me, to score up the thread by squeezing them with multigrips to make little pock marks in the thread to give the tape something to bight into. It goes against everything I believe in to ruin a perfectly good thread by hacking it up but there ya go, been told this by two different plumbers now. I just liked how much he helped me. I may bottle some beer for him and ring him up again one day.

It was no biggy really, I kinda already knew. It was basically the direction it has to go on right hand threads so it doesn't bunch up when you are screwing it in, he also reckoned, which my plumber here in Agnes has also told me, to score up the thread by squeezing them with multigrips to make little pock marks in the thread to give the tape something to bight into. It goes against everything I believe in to ruin a perfectly good thread by hacking it up but there ya go, been told this by two different plumbers now. I just liked how much he helped me. I may bottle some beer for him and ring him up again one day.

Lucky Bugga, Great solution. Gotta get mine hard plumbed sooner than later. Shield for now seems to work.

If anyone knows a good gasfitter around Brisie who is sympathetic to our cause, I would love to meet him

Cheers

PS Love the fish, better pack my Rod next time.
PPS The Redclaw we had with us from Maraboon travelled well on QANTARSE and has now set up home in our office fishtank

Lucky Bugga, Great solution. Gotta get mine hard plumbed sooner than later. Shield for now seems to work.

If anyone knows a good gasfitter around Brisie who is sympathetic to our cause, I would love to meet him

Cheers

PS Love the fish, better pack my Rod next time.
PPS The Redclaw we had with us from Maraboon travelled well on QANTARSE and has now set up home in our office fishtank

What was the redclaw's name? And can I please see a pick of him in the office?

Why don't you go to Tradelink and build one up, it cost me 30 bucks and that included the new orange hose.

thats water tape your using there, i would take it apart and use gas tape (yellow type)

Cheers,

Stewart

thats water tape your using there, i would take it apart and use gas tape (yellow type)

Cheers,

Stewart

I will when I can get some. As I said it is Bundy and they didn't have any yellow. The pink tape did melt a bit today on it's maiden voyage. No leaks though.

I will when I can get some. As I said it is Bundy and they didn't have any yellow. The pink tape did melt a bit today on it's maiden voyage. No leaks though.

Im not actually sure what the difference between them is, one is AGA approved and the other is not.
It'll probably be alright, but i would change it anyway as its only going to cost a couple of bucks for the tape.

Cheers,

Stewart

I can imagine the panic that gripped you when you saw the flames! I can vividly remember the 1.5m flames jetting from the hose that runs from the propane tank to the BBQ. Thankfully they were licking the glass patio door and not the wooden siding! :eek:

What was the redclaw's name? And can I please see a pick of him in the office?

Why don't you go to Tradelink and build one up, it cost me 30 bucks and that included the new orange hose.

Kevin...
I'll send pics Wednesday when I'm back at work

Cheers

Latest posts

Back