Safale S-04

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No such thing as a boring malt bill, only a simple one

:beer:

Sponge

Chuck in a bucket of late styrians or east kent and you'll be well on your way to hiding any MO flavours :D

Sponge

One of my favourite house beers is a Nelson Sauvin Ale with 95% Ale Malt and 5% Carapils, US05 at 18deg. I love the NS, but wasn't getting good results with clarity. I don't have a filter (someday maybe...)

Have just put down the same recipe but this time with S04 as i'm hoping to get it clearer. I've been told by many, and the info on the packet backs this up, that Safale SO4 is supposed to flocculate out better.

I'm not expecting the same beer, as i'm also aware that it will leave a different taste to the US05, but i'll wait and see how it comes out. Never used it until now.

Nath
:icon_offtopic:

I just did Ross's NS summer ale and it's pretty damn clear after being in the keg for 5 weeks. I use brewbright all the time now its the goods. I don't use polyclare or gelatine anymore either.

NS summer ale yummy.

DSC_1135.jpg

i had late start on a 1.060 brew last year, was about 48 hrs before action. will not rehydrate this yeast but pitch it dry now.. pitched two s-04's and away it went stopped at 1.017. nice beer but i will try again with premium ale yeast - S-33 maybe...

kieran said:
I made an exceptionally light beer 2 weeks ago with S04, started at 1036 and went to 1006. By far the lowest FG I've ever had (I'm a bit of a malt monster and normally mash high temp, and get FGs around 1016/1019).

I fermented at 18C, and had a massive collection of flocculated crap and trub-ish looking stuff in the bottom once it hit that FG after about 6 days at 18C.

My issue is that even with a very mild malt profile, and low(ish) alcohol content.. it really smacks of diacetyl (not really bad, but definately noticable).

How could that be remedied in future ales?
Did you do a diacetyl rest? how long was your boil?

Back