Saf Dried Yeasts.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And no, its not a new yeast strain - should have read T58

Grrrr...

Wes

No mention on the Fermentis site about US-56...its one of theirs aint it???

wessmith said:
This brew will be the first under head pressure - will hold it around 0.2 to 0.3 Bar

Wes
[post="109684"][/post]​

& the reason please? :)

cheers Ross

Linz said:
[post="109690"][/post]​

I think that's because it's sold in bricks for the brewing industry. We only get it in packs (like K-97) because kindly distributers break up the bricks and repackage in foil.

PostModern said:
Linz said:
[post="109690"][/post]​

I think that's because it's sold in bricks for the brewing industry. We only get it in packs (like K-97) because kindly distributers break up the bricks and repackage in foil.
[post="109701"][/post]​

PoMo,

No, it's sold in proper 11.5gm Fermentis packets, it's in their craft brewer section -

link here, just click on safale for full product info: http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/06-Ales/90-10_product_cb.asp

cheers Ross

PoMo,

Saw little red packs at Gerards which were the US-56...just looking for more details...

& the reason please? smile.gif

cheers Ross

Gidday Ross, have been working towards pressure ferments for some time and finally got all the changes done to the main vessel including the sample tap which I posted a pic of the other day. Almost all commercial breweries (and that includes micros) use a pressure vessel to ferment their beers. It obviously keeps the nasties out, but more importantly some yeast like a bit of head pressure. Others seem to perform better with hydrostatic pressure - try a fermenter 25m high and holding 200,000ltrs!

The other reason is my brewing cabinet is a 2 door coke fridge and at this time of year brewing at 19C, the inside of that cabinet is just perfect for the development of all sorts of bacteria. My 2 fermenters are basically atmospheric but I have converted one to pressure. And yes, I got caught with 2 brews where I kegged the same day I brewed and pitched with the same yeast. Acetobactor heaven! Will have some very good malt vinegar if anyone is interested....

Wes

Any chance for a comparison chart of all the SAF strains to known WL/WY strains???

wessmith said:
It obviously keeps the nasties out, but more importantly some yeast like a bit of head pressure.
[post="109705"][/post]​

Well there you go, learn something new every day :) . I'd always been under the impression that head pressure was bad for the yeast, especially during early ferment, hence I don't even stress the yeast with airlocks these days...

Cheers Ross...

P.S. Sorry, this has gone off topic, didn't mean to hijack, just fascinated...

Ross said:
No, it's sold in proper 11.5gm Fermentis packets, it's in their craft brewer section -

link here, just click on safale for full product info: http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/06-Ales/90-10_product_cb.asp

[post="109702"][/post]​

Thanks, Ross, clicked there read this:

Safale US-56

The most famous American ale yeast now available in dry form in 500g packs.

The homebrewers range here http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/06-Ales/30-10_product_hb.asp all show availability in 11.5g packs.

I should know better than to believe everything I read on the web, tho.

It'd be nice if LHBS stocked more lines.

PostModern said:
Ross said:

[post="109702"][/post]​

Thanks, Ross, clicked there read this:

Safale US-56

The most famous American ale yeast now available in dry form in 500g packs.
PoMo,

If you go into the product pdf & look under packaging you will see it's available in 11.5gm packets - Just rehydrating one as we speak :)

++++
It'd be nice if LHBS stocked more lines.
[post="109713"][/post]​

I agree, seems a natural progression to hops - watch this space ;)

cheers Ross

Ross said:
wessmith said:
It obviously keeps the nasties out, but more importantly some yeast like a bit of head pressure.
[post="109705"][/post]​

Well there you go, learn something new every day :)

[post="109710"][/post]​

Ditto Ross,

I had always believed that breweries used head pressure simply for the same reasons as yeast manufacturers, pressure inside greater than outside = no outside air (yeasts from brewery building and equipment) in. Didn't realise that some yeasts prefer this environment.

hupnupnee said:
Where did you get your T58 from. My HBS stocks only the two the SAFLAGER and the SAFALE and thats it.

Cheers

Hupnupnee
[post="109664"][/post]​

Marks Home Brew in Newcastle.

Beers,
Doc

Doc, how is your dried yeast trial shaping up? Kegged? I noticed that you were brewing with the dried about two weeks ago (although I imagine that you are at the more meticulous end of the brewing spectrum - it's being CC'd isn't it?)

I would really like to get some feedback on the performance of these newer dried yeasts. I'm on the brink of buying US-56 instead of Wyeast 1056, and naturally want an iron-clad money-back guarantee from this site that they are totally equivalent ;)

Linz mentioned earlier that he'd like to see a comparison. I would also like to see one. If the dried yeasts really are equivalent, then there are really, really compelling reasons to go dried. Costs aside, there's no hassles associated with starters, etc...

mongo said:
I would really like to get some feedback on the performance of these newer dried yeasts. I'm on the brink of buying US-56 instead of Wyeast 1056, and naturally want an iron-clad money-back guarantee from this site that they are totally equivalent ;)

[post="113094"][/post]​

Mongo,

Wyeast 1056 was one of my fav yeasts for apa's, but I've used saf-56 in my last half dozen American style ales. I reckon it's a top yeast - every beer has kicked off strongly & I got my Ruination Ale down from 1080 to 1014 in 7 days, fermenting at 18c...
I for one, won't be switching back to liquid... :beer:

cheers Ross...

Mongo - have used both several times in various types of beers....and to be honest I couldnt tell the difference. Ive now gone back to dried yeasts. I always have a supply of us56 in the fridge.
Cheers
Steve

I recently bought 10 sachets each of S-04 and US-56. Its a bit of an up-front cost, but it beats the hell out of doing a starter each time. The way I figure it I do either English style ales or American style ales probably 95% of the time - if S-04 is the same as WLP005 and US-56 is the same as WLP001 then I am more than happy with the quality of both of those yeasts. For the modest extra cost, you get a hell of a lot more convenience and peace of mind. I will probably only use liquid yeasts now if I need something more "out of the square".

I must be different then because I can taste a difference.

I tried some beers recently which were fermented with US-56 and I found them 'powdery' in taste compared to WLP001. While they were still enjoyable (XMas Case) from different brewers, those that had used the same yeast gave the same aftertaste. Even S-04 which I used to use when I first started out has nothing on WLP005, so while no doubt they are less hassle, IMO they still have some way to go before being called comparable to a good liquid.

Cheers.

Another dry yeast i have had good results with when doing English style beers is the Muntons Premium Gold.

Anyone else use this yeast?

Latest posts

Back