Saaz B Or Summer Saaz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabre4

Reaction score
G'day everyone. I'm working on a Pilsner recipee, and I wan't to use a different variety of Saaz, just to give it a bit of an extra fruity boost than normal Saaz hops. I'm tossing up between Summer Saaz and Saaz B. I haven't used either before, has anyone tried both of these? Which one do you think has better results?

G'day everyone. I'm working on a Pilsner recipee, and I wan't to use a different variety of Saaz, just to give it a bit of an extra fruity boost than normal Saaz hops. I'm tossing up between Summer Saaz and Saaz B. I haven't used either before, has anyone tried both of these? Which one do you think has better results?

I've only used B saaz ( motueka ) and in a pils it was pretty damn good.

a better result...depends what you are looking for. My vote is for the B Saaz, it has a lot of really pleasant fruity (citrusy) type flavour. The summer saaz is nice enough but I didn't quite get the same pleasure out of them myself. A bit more subtle than the B Saaz at least in the beer I tried it in.

Why not do a double batch (or split batch) and have a batch of each?

I'd vote for B Saaz myself. A great pilsner hop in my book. I've made a couple with it.

I believe Batz may have done a Summer Saaz pils he was happy with though...

Made a pilsner with Super Alpha for bittering and later additions of Summer Saaz.

Whilst not a bad beer the Summer Saaz tasted more herbal similar to Nugget and it had a rough edge to it which I know was not coming from the Super Alpha which is an excellent clean bittering hop.

Like I said, it was not bad... just not good, I personally wouldn't use it again.

B Saaz on the other hand is a great hop and would give more of the fruitiness your looking for IMHO.

Cheers,
BB

Call me unAustralian but my preference is Saaz B. I was underwhelmed by Summer Saaz the one time that I used it (in a SMaSH beer). Saaz B has bucketloads more aroma IMO & is a regular in my hop stash

I prefer Motueka (B Saaz). Summer Saaz has never done anything for me in the beers I've had that use it. Motueka, on the other hand, is awesome.

I think it's unanimous! I'll give B saaz a go, thanks for the tips!

Latest posts

Back