Rye Suggestions - How Much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
hey guys (and girls),

thinking about trying something a bit different with my pale ale and am considering throwing in a bit of rye. dont want to overpower it, just enough to notice though. probably just some ale malt and the rye, then some dme to hit my target OG.
would 500g be enough? and ive seen crystal rye also, would that be worth it or would it give a different character to the rye? thanks
joe

Great to see more people trying Rye. It is one of my favorite grains. If you try a pale ale and use up to 20% of the grain bill, this will give you a good idea of the characteristics of rye, without being dominant. As for the crystal rye, I've not tried it.

I'm with Maple. Something like 20% of the grain bill should be enough to give you an idea. Have you got flaked rye or (preferably) malted?

thanks guys. i'll go for 20% then. not 100% sure if its flaked or malted, but whichever i can get from the sponsors (think its malted though).
joe

I have 1.7kg of rye malt that my LHBS kindly gave to me. I have been meaning to try it for a while but was a little unsure of the quantities, so this thread is very timely! Thanks for the info.

I recently made an IPA with 16% rye and really liked it. 20% sounds good

clay

hey guys (and girls),

thinking about trying something a bit different with my pale ale and am considering throwing in a bit of rye. dont want to overpower it, just enough to notice though. probably just some ale malt and the rye, then some dme to hit my target OG.
would 500g be enough? and ive seen crystal rye also, would that be worth it or would it give a different character to the rye? thanks
joe

I have 1.7kg of rye malt that my LHBS kindly gave to me. I have been meaning to try it for a while but was a little unsure of the quantities, so this thread is very timely! Thanks for the info.

Hey Guys,
As Maple said, it's good to see Rye being used B)

for more info, there's a very good thread started by Tony, just search Roggenbier

Cheers
Yard

Back