Rye porter recipe feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sponge said:
If you weren't so far away I'd happily give you some brown malt.. you won't be in Wollongong prior to brewing will you?

Otherwise amber would be a compromise. Not the same, but not out of place either.
Do you put the brown malt in late in the mash sponge? I've never had much luck with brown malt. Seems to come out astringent for me. Might try some cold steeped, what do you think?

Fullers London porter is delicious, and I'm sure it has brown malt in it.

I've tried brown malt both cold steeped and with main mash and haven't noticed as much of a change in astringency compared to cold steeping with roast malts. Granted, I haven't brewed the same beer with only changing how the brown malt was added for comparison so just my 2c.

Just seems to add a nice nutty-ness when I've brewed with it, but don't believe I've used much more than 5% of the grist. I don't have access to my recipes at the moment, but pretty sure I normally add brown at 5%.

There's also a big difference between the English brown malts as well, the bairds is @ 130ebc and simpsons @400 (iirc), I've used 15% of the bairds in a porter, but wouldnt use that much'of the simpsons. A bit of ageing does wonders for reducing any harshness as well.

Have done some home roasting before and it went ok but was more trouble than it was worth!

Will hopefully brew this over the weekend, I'll probably stick with the original recipe I proposed.

Brewed this tonight, all went smoothly bar missing target gravity by a couple of points. Nothing serious.

Will hopefully get it into a fermenter tomorrow and see how it pans out.

Any tips on yeast for this? I have a choice between some 1084 slurry or S04.

If I get a chance to keg a beer I could also use part of a Thames valley yeast cake.

Am leaning towards S04 as I have a fair bit lying around that I need to use and I want to get this going as soon as possible.

I used S04 for mine and it turned out quite well, only issue is it can be slightly lazy towards the end so keep an eye on it.

After a chat with a mate decided that the 1084 slurry would be the way to go. It's warming up now and will probably pitch later this evening.

Have used S04 plenty of times with good results. It can drop out a bit early at times but I've always found a gentle swirl and bumping the temp up a few degrees has always helped it finish things off. Always flocculates really well too!

This came out pretty well. Nice and smooth, a bit lighter in colour than I'd expected, more dark brown than black.

Have now acquired some brown malt and smoked malt so am planning on re brewing subbing smoked for the rye and adding in some brown.

This is certainly a style I am looking forward to playing around with.

Latest posts

Back