Rye Esb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabre4

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying a littel Rye in an ESB. I don't want too much Rye, just enought to add some more body and sweetness.

Anyone tried this before?

I'm thinking

87 % Marris Otter
10% Rye malt
3 % caraaroma

Other option is to add some cararye, although I don't know what this would bring. Anyway?

Maybe

95 % Marris Otter
3 % cararye
2 % caraaroma

So would add rye give a caramel type sweetness.
Trying to suss out a ESB but with a strong caramel body (aka YB - Hud-a-wah).

I'm thinking about trying a littel Rye in an ESB. I don't want too much Rye, just enought to add some more body and sweetness.

Anyone tried this before?

I'm thinking

87 % Marris Otter
10% Rye malt
3 % caraaroma

Other option is to add some cararye, although I don't know what this would bring. Anyway?

Maybe

95 % Marris Otter
3 % cararye
2 % caraaroma
I have, I've made versions with and without cararye and I much preferred the version with it. It brought a little of the crystal flavour I expect in an ESB, as well as the Rye.
I have a version in the recipe db here

Mine had a good strong rye aspect, so you could back the percentages off a little.
Of those above I'd combine some cararye with some rye, maybe to 10-15% all told (I went to 20, and I still would, it can handle it in my opinion...)

G'day Doog,

I can't comment on the cararye, as I haven't used it. But I like the look of the first recipe. 10% rye malt should give you a good feel for the malt, without going over board, as you said you weren't looking for that. We use a more than that in our Rye ESB, but it's quite malty with a strong rye character. I reckon give it a go and see what you think.

What type of hops were you looking at using? Bitterness level?

Dave

NickB had one on display in the latest QLD swap. I have tried it, but unfortunately it was later in the night, so I don't remember much. But I think I went back for seconds, so it must have been good.

NickB had one on display in the latest QLD swap. I have tried it, but unfortunately it was later in the night, so I don't remember much. But I think I went back for seconds, so it must have been good.

Didn't Daz have one as well. :unsure:

Daz had an ESB, mine had Rye, but mine wasn't great, as I think I let the 1469 drift a bit high, and it was quite estery, with not much rye character........

Cheers

I have, I've made versions with and without cararye and I much preferred the version with it. It brought a little of the crystal flavour I expect in an ESB, as well as the Rye.

Mine had a good strong rye aspect, so you could back the percentages off a little.
Of those above I'd combine some cararye with some rye, maybe to 10-15% all told (I went to 20, and I still would, it can handle it in my opinion...)

+1 BC

I loved my Rye ESB... (Chappo has a slight sob in the corner with a photo of Sherman Mk2). Well worth having a go and see for yourself what a good dose of rye brings to your beers. I was addicted to the damn stuff in the end.

Chap Chap

I've brewed a version of bconnerys rye ESB and ran it through my handpump :icon_drool2:

Added 10% of flaked rye as well.

Keg got drained in a day.

Latest posts

Back