Russian Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What made you expect 1.023?

If you don't know the OG how can you determine the yeast attenuation?

Brewers Friend app estimated OG of 1.098 based on the ingredients listed, however as I held back 500gm DME until 5 days into fermentation, I made a rookie error and didn't take a reading before pitching (i.e. assumed I wouldn't get an accurate reading given not all ingredients had been added at that point).
This is the first time I've done such a big beer, and as I usually keg, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not going to bottle too soon.

maybe give it a gentle swirl (without aerating it) and raise the temp a little if possible to help those yeasties finish off. Also, leave it another week just to be sure

So 4 days later and the SG is still 1.028. I gave it a good swirl, and upped the temp slightly, but it hasn't moved.
Is an FG of 1.028 too high to bottle? (I will be using one carb drop per 750ml glass bottle if it makes a difference)

1.098 > 1.028 is an attenuation of just over 72%. For a big beer like that it's not unheard of depending on your yeast health, wort conditions etc. Nottingham normally gets a bit lower but considering it's been a few days, that may be it.

Latest posts

Back