Rtd/alcopop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hows it goin lads, please dont revoke my membership for this one......
Herself has been at me for a while now to attempt to 'brew', for want of a better word, something similar to smirnoff ice red. Obviously a beer fermenter is not a still but is there any recipie that could come close to that lemon flavour?
Sorry for mad question!

Add lemon to one of your brews after it's been bottled and poured into a glass? :lol:

Or try a Mexican style brew and add lemon afterwards, corona style.

Can't you buy those RTD kits in liue of being able to distil?

Do you keg?
your could easily do this if you had kegs (maybe a good way to get kegs - get it passed by the minister of war and finance ;))

Other wise have a look around for an alcoholic lemonade might be the closest comprimise - might need to add a bit of vodka to it still but should be pretty close.

Hows it goin lads, please dont revoke my membership for this one......
Herself has been at me for a while now to attempt to 'brew', for want of a better word, something similar to smirnoff ice red. Obviously a beer fermenter is not a still but is there any recipie that could come close to that lemon flavour?
Sorry for mad question!

Do you have a keg setup? If so you could forgoe the brewing altogether and simply mix something together like a cocktail in a keg.

Something as simple as vodka and soft drink would work. Unless I'm missing something this is pretty much what those RTD's are anyway?

There are also a few threads on here for hard lemonade. I made one for Christmas presents for people that has been very well received but it's more of a lemon wine as it finished very dry. Does have plenty of lemon tang though. I have a few ideas for making the next one sweeter but I'm probably a way off trying it - too much beer to brew!

Yup, brew up a lemonade. The last one I did was pretty cloudy, and not too sweet. But if you put a bit of time and effort into chilling/clearing it, it would probably come good. I"m sure it wouldn't be anything like an alco'pop but it would be fizzy, alcoholic and lemon flavoured. And made with real lemons, instead of what ever god awefull chemical they probably use in the alco'pop.

Pretty sure the smirnoff red ice is a solo / pub squash type colour as it is.

Latest posts

Back