Rims Vs Herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Seems most electric brewers on here are using herms as opposed to a rims setup. I have been researching both systems pretty hard & each has their own plus & minus. I read a lot that caramalisation in a poorly designed rims can be a major problem. I also hear a great deal about herms systems needing a 2400watt element in a seperate vessel to quickly ramp up temp for the mash if targets are short. I noted that beerbelly sells his herms system without a seperate vessel for the herms & has the coil in the HLT. Surely a 3600watt element in a 50lt HLT keggle would ramp up quickly enough & keep temps at required levels for the mash & mashout.
Anyone here using a rims care to describe their system & how it compares to a herms.

Crusty

Obviously smaller vessels will ramp temps better. I think you could probably go too small though and ramp too quickly, creating temperature gradients in your mash tun. I'm still in the planning stage of my HERMS so this is all theoretical at the moment. I'm planning to use a 10L urn which is quick enough i think.

Obviously smaller vessels will ramp temps better. I think you could probably go too small though and ramp too quickly, creating temperature gradients in your mash tun. I'm still in the planning stage of my HERMS so this is all theoretical at the moment. I'm planning to use a 10L urn which is quick enough i think.

Thanks yum,
I hear a bit of herms users complaining that smaller vessels loose temps too quickly & a few people swear by larger 15-20lt vessels for their herms. I believe the larger vessel like the HLT, although taking longer to reach temp, can manage & keep temps more stable because of the larger voulumes of water.

There probably is an optimum balance between mash water and HERMS exchange size. But if using a PID to control, it is almost irrelevant. A smaller volume will lose heat quicker, but it will also ramp faster and if well insulated should not be of too much a concern.

My HERMS is around 10 liters (guess) in size and ramps 15c in 7 minutes for a 27 liter dough in water volume, it is poorly insulated too, so could probably achieve faster ramp rates if I insulated the HERMS container. I do not worry about gradients in the mash as the circulating wort eliminates them quickly.

I'd be concerned about using a HLT as the basis for a HERMS as the final step, mash out, requires the wort achieve 76c. In order to do this, the HLT liquor will run higher than 76c, making it unusable as sparge water. That said, there are people that do it.

Have you had a look at this thread , it's a fairly in depth discussion dedicated to the HERMS system.
For what it's worth my opinion is a smaller herms vessel means a faster ramp time however the speed of your recirculation plays a big part as well, the faster you can recirc without compacting the grain bed means the faster your ramp time, it's a balancing act.

Andrew

I'd be concerned about using a HLT as the basis for a HERMS as the final step, mash out, requires the wort achieve 76c. In order to do this, the HLT liquor will run higher than 76c, making it unusable as sparge water. That said, there are people that do it.

Been watching a few of your vids on youtube, nice setup.
I don't do a mashout as such anymore & basically do a single infusion batch sparge.
I collect the first runnings after the 60min rest & batch sparge twice using equal amounts of sparge water. My efficeency is around the 82-84% mark but am working on making that a little better. Not too many people on here using rims it seems.

Have you had a look at this thread , it's a fairly in depth discussion dedicated to the HERMS system.
For what it's worth my opinion is a smaller herms vessel means a faster ramp time however the speed of your recirculation plays a big part as well, the faster you can recirc without compacting the grain bed means the faster your ramp time, it's a balancing act.

Andrew

Had a good look through there, thanks Andrew.

I use a RIMS, and I am fairly happy with it, but it is reasonably new (about 6 batches in) and I have to look at getting a PID controller to stop it overshooting the mark - the only problem I have come across. Its a 2400w element set under my false bottom. Seems to rise a degree a minute fairly easily with no scorching that I can detect. Mind you, I dont know alot about it, I relied on a very knowledgable HBS owner to sort it out for me! But it works, and works well.
Trent

Slightly off topic, but I have enough vessels (I think) to start work on a HERMS or RIMS system. Anyone know of any decent links/guides to building one or the other?

Anyone here using a rims care to describe their system & how it compares to a herms.

Only 1 small batch into my RIMS brewing, the PID controller is a must have with a RIMS setup to avoid overshooting your temps.

No issues with scorching either (as yet!).

There probably is an optimum balance between mash water and HERMS exchange size. But if using a PID to control, it is almost irrelevant. A smaller volume will lose heat quicker, but it will also ramp faster and if well insulated should not be of too much a concern.

+1 , FJ knows his stuff!

Slightly off topic, but I have enough vessels (I think) to start work on a HERMS or RIMS system. Anyone know of any decent links/guides to building one or the other?

My RIMS build along with a few other RIMS build threads are in my signature linky below.

This dude has a pretty good breakdown of the rims element setup.

I contacted stokes appliance parts & thay suggested this in relation to the video,
low density to avoid scorching, 2" BSP triple element 4500watt 997mm long, product 2624. Bloody huge.

Do you think a 2400watt low density would be ok. 523mm long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think a 2400watt low density would be ok. 523mm long.

Cant access utube at work, but I would say yes it should be ok - if used with a PID.

Make sure you can pull the RIMS apart for cleaning (just incase or scorching!)

For me its about why you want a re-circulating system in the first place.

If what you want is to set your temp, walk away, know its going to be steady for the whole mash and then maybe flick it up to a mashout before you sparge. Then I think that Coil in HLT systems are the best bet. Measure the temp in the HLT, know the difference between it and your mash tun once its stabilized, set point controller does the trick nicely. Beautiful.

And at the other end of the scale is a RIMS - less inherently stable, but the most responsive. Steep ramps for total mash temp and almost instant change of temp for the recirculated wort itself. But you need a PID to run one sensibly or they are all over the shop. For me, they give me the response I want for different step mash regimes. I want zero overshoot & steep ramps and a RIMS gives me that better than I was ever able to get with different HERMS variations. Looking to emulate infusion and decoction "steps" as closely as possible with a re-circulating system.

Smaller separate vessel HERMS systems walk all along the line in between the two, with heat-ex size, heat-ex vessel size and temp probe placement all affecting how the system performs and what it does best.

There is also the Brutus 10 option to consider which is probably closer to a RIMS than a HERMS in concept.

In all but the systems that require the least "responsiveness" ie ones that are almost exclusively about maintaining a steady single temperature - flow rates are critical - with faster generally equalling better control. Not necessarily better ramp rates, but better ability for your temp controller to stay on top of its job. So don't skimp on your false bottom and pay a little attention to mash tun design so you can avoid bed compaction.

Also, do not skimp on quick disconnects... you have a lot of pumps, pipes, hoses, taps etc going on in a re-circulating system, leaks are an absolute pain in the arse that you want to avoid. Buy good ones, they are expensive, but worth every penny if you've been through the pain of brew days that start with 40mins of tracking down and fixing multiple leaky fittings before you even get to mash in.

As raven said... Rims units need to come apart easily, you have to be able to easily clean the element as it gets a light layer of build up every brew and you need to know you haven't got anything that might cause a partial blockage and hold anything solid directly on the element.

Cheers

Thirsty

PS - you dont need a stinking great ton of energy in your rims element, its all going directly into the wort with no exchangers, water etc in between, so you get more bang for every joule - 2400W will give you good ramp for even double batch. I get more than acceptable response from my system on a double batch and my element is probably only about 2000W (cheap coles kettle element)

For me its about why you want a re-circulating system in the first place.

If what you want is to set your temp, walk away, know its going to be steady for the whole mash and then maybe flick it up to a mashout before you sparge. Then I think that Coil in HLT systems are the best bet. Measure the temp in the HLT, know the difference between it and your mash tun once its stabilized, set point controller does the trick nicely. Beautiful.

And at the other end of the scale is a RIMS - less inherently stable, but the most responsive. Steep ramps for total mash temp and almost instant change of temp for the recirculated wort itself. But you need a PID to run one sensibly or they are all over the shop. For me, they give me the response I want for different step mash regimes. & steep ramp I want zero overshoot s and a RIMS gives me that better than I was ever able to get with different HERMS variations. Looking to emulate infusion and decoction "steps" as closely as possible with a re-circulating system.

Smaller separate vessel HERMS systems walk all along the line in between the two, with heat-ex size, heat-ex vessel size and temp probe placement all affecting how the system performs and what it does best.

There is also the Brutus 10 option to consider which is probably closer to a RIMS than a HERMS in concept.

In all but the systems that require the least "responsiveness" ie ones that are almost exclusively about maintaining a steady single temperature - flow rates are critical - with faster generally equalling better control. Not necessarily better ramp rates, but better ability for your temp controller to stay on top of its job. So don't skimp on your false bottom and pay a little attention to mash tun design so you can avoid bed compaction.

Also, do not skimp on quick disconnects... you have a lot of pumps, pipes, hoses, taps etc going on in a re-circulating system, leaks are an absolute pain in the arse that you want to avoid. Buy good ones, they are expensive, but worth every penny if you've been through the pain of brew days that start with 40mins of tracking down and fixing multiple leaky fittings before you even get to mash in.

As raven said... Rims units need to come apart easily, you have to be able to easily clean the element as it gets a light layer of build up every brew and you need to know you haven't got anything that might cause a partial blockage and hold anything solid directly on the element.

Cheers

Thirsty

PS - you dont need a stinking great ton of energy in your rims element, its all going directly into the wort with no exchangers, water etc in between, so you get more bang for every joule - 2400W will give you good ramp for even double batch. I get more than acceptable response from my system on a double batch and my element is probably only about 2000W (cheap coles kettle element)

Thanks Thirsty,
Some valid points you have raised there. Like yourself, I am aiming for zero overshoot & the flexability to do step mashes in the future & I am looking at the Rims specifically for that reason. I have spoken to quite a few herms brewers & each person has their own issues with how they have set the herms up. I'm not saying in any way a herms is not capable of any brews that I am looking at doing in the future, but the Rims is the better option for me. I have sent auberins an email & am looking at this PID,

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_pag...p;products_id=4

This probe,

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_pag...;products_id=96

& 25A SSR & 25A Heatsink if I go for the 2400watt element. If going to a larger element, I will go the 40A.

TB, once again a great post which prompts thought about "why" as much as "how". big ups!! :beer:

sorry for the off topic post - just noticed lately TB is putting out some (longish but ;) ) well thought out informative posts, & that should be noted.

The auberins units work really nicely from all reports I have read.

cdbrown has a nice little build log also at the moment that is worth checking out re Auberins goodies. :icon_cheers:

(Another top TB post above indeed).

On fire TB...

I'd love to see a cost comparison between the two systems (not that cost would be the determining factor for me, but its important all the same). For a while now I've just taken it for granted that HERMS is easiest to get up and running and has the lowest risk on brewday, but increased responsiveness would be a powerful motivator for me.

Can people post a list of typically required parts to implement a Rims and Herms in a gravity fed 3v system?

Can people post a list of typically required parts to implement a Rims and Herms in a gravity fed 3v system?

Many ways to skin a cat :)

For me (build in progress)

My HERMS

March Pump (I am single Tier so am using the one Pump for all)
Silicon Hose
Connectors
URN/Pot (I have a 10 ltr urn that was more a keep warm rather than heat up type)
Some Heating Ability for Pot or Urn (I am using an immersion heater)
Temperature Controller (e.g. PID)
Copper Coil.
Exit and Entry nipples in MLT
Some sort of Wort disperser in MLT (not too sure if is required for all situations)
Thermowell into MLT (wort entry)

probably more that I have forgotten or just don't know at this point of time :)

Thanks Matt. Looking forward to seeing your finished build (should be good)

Crusty,

Have a look at the link below.
http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/

I did my first home brew in one of these at Marks Home Brew in Newcastle and can highly recommend it. Particularly if you are starting out in all grain.

If the end result you want is enjoyable beer, then these compact units work very well.

I made a similar unit, revising it about 4 or 5 times so far, realising there is a lot of subtle design genius in the apparently simple BRAU unit and am still working on my version. Do yourself a favor and buy one off Mark unless you are consumed with doing everything yourself like me.

I found it hard to pick the benefits between HERMS and RIMS but my understanding so far is.

RIMS puts heat directly into wort, if watt/area density of element is poorly managed either by PID controller or element selection, then scorching of wort (caramelisation and enzyme damage) results. Supposedly makes clearer wort.

HERM, uses a liquid to buffer the heat transfer (heat exchanger) , mostly only heard about the good but I don't like all the equipment, save some of the magnificent brew sculptures I have seen on AHB. It just seems to bulky for me so it is really a matter of personal choice, at least in my case.

I would use a valve radio and transistor radio analogy. My choice is to persevere with the smaller footprint and enjoy solving design issues.

Having put my view, I should temper it with acknowledging I probably have another 503 brews to go before I really understand what the hell I am doing anyway.

I am consistently making the beer that I want, that my friends enjoy and it gives me great pleasure, so I am happy with my choice. And lets not forget, there are brewers out ther having a great time with single step, minimash or mashing in and esky using a kettle.

Just remember to enjoy the journey.

Cheers

TeeDee

Latest posts

Back