Reverse osmosis system.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have got enough to chew over in those posts, I am not worried about the flow speed I had thought of doing what Dicko does and fill up a 60 litre FV overnight using a float valve to stop it. As I said I do use walter calcs now to adjust the pH and minerals but have been reading a few articles lately about RO water and recipes look so simple, but I may be trading one thing off for another.

Are there any places around where you can get your tap water analysed, so as to take into consideration if an RO system would be of any benefit?

There used to be a bunch of small labs that would do this kind of thing but they've mainly been bought out by big labs and I don't think they would bother with one off samples anymore. You could try a local university, but your best bet is to go to whoever supplies the water to your house. They should have test results that give a good indication of what is coming out of your tap and this info is also usually on the council/water utility website.

Where are you located mate? I've thought about it a few times (buying a RO filter setup) but if I could snag RO water at a price like that I think it would at least initially make a lot of sense in trying out specific profiles for the 7 or 8 house beers I've pretty much settled on.

Sydney.This was at Kellyville Pets, though there's no mention of it on their website that I can see.
https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/pages/kellyville-pets

Correct me if I'm wrong Ash44 but I thought the biggest bearing on small domestic RO units was water pressure? Being that the higher the pressure the better the flow and less waste water.
I bought a unit from onlinebrewingsupplies a while ago that he no longer stocks. Definitely one of the best steps I've taken towards better beer, especially with regards to lagers. Each brew is consistent and there's no guessing about mineral content or chlorine levels. When I got it I put the RO water up for a taste test with my wife. I got her to try the RO water then tap water, and she said "you've added chlorine or something to this one, so what?" We drink water straight from our tap and to me tastes very clean. Whilst regular municipal tap water may not taste that bad, whatever you can taste in it is going to end up in the beer. Personally I'd rather the beer talk for itself.
I don't mix, blend or change anything between different beers. 100% RO water and salt additions as required.

I thought the biggest bearing on small domestic RO units was water pressure?

Yes and no. You can drive more flow through the membrane and reduce waste by increasing pressure, providing the pump lets you. The real limiting factor on these things is surface area of the membrane. The membranes have a maximum flow per unit of surface area above which you risk damaging the membrane. These little 2.5" membranes in these units max out at around 15l/hr (lower flow ones just have less membrane in the same size cartridge), the higher flow units simply have more membranes in parallel as that gives more membrane surface area for more product flow but more waste as well.
This is a very basic view, pressure and flow are a function of a heap of different things. As a general rule RO systems are pretty inflexible, without changing the number of membranes and pump size you will struggle to improve performance.

G'Day Legless I got one of these from psi https://www.psifilters.com.au/42-re...reverse-osmosis-system-with-gauge-low-waste-1 One of the best moves I made in terms of making better beer, improvements by stages, I was targeting Chloramines which only a few of the RO membranes will get, ( the Chinese copies don't do the job neither does carbon alone) ring the guy and have a chat he is a top bloke. Our water is bad to disgusting and from what I can gather many water suppliers are going to chloramine as they do the job well especially in summer when the mains water temp goes up. I also got the TDS meter and the remineraliser so we can use the water in the house for drinking I wouldn't recommend drinking RO I built a manifold to switch outputs and it hangs on the laundry sorry brewery wall. Bruin water from Martin is good so is ezi water build your own water profiles hit the mash Ph every time, Make better beer; Happy Days Oh I get about 25 litres in two hours at 60psi mains pressure the RO units have a minimum mains operating pressure, chat to Peter (think thats his name) mine runs at 50% waste which goes in the pool.......

As a general rule RO systems are pretty inflexible, without changing the number of membranes and pump size you will struggle to improve performance.
Which for the domestic user with be a function of mains pressure which barely changes. I've only got about 150 kPa at my joint so my single-membrane system takes a good 6h to fill 20 litres. If only I had the luxury of a jacking pump.

Another benefit of living in the eastern burbs of Melbourne, aside from the quality of the water, is the pressure at which it is delivered.

I built a manifold to switch outputs and it hangs on the laundry
Do you have a photo of your manifold? I was thinking of getting an RO system. What I would like to do is put it under the kitchen sink and use the first two stages normally and then just reconnect the RO membrane when I am making beer.

The more I read what Gordon Strong has to say about using RO water the more inclined I am to get one, I was thinking of using it as well as the campden tablet, any waste I can use on the garden will look into those scomet.

Here you go rsmallri this is my really simple system, from psi, hanging on the laundry wall it just runs from a connection inline to the washer, the manifold is only low pressure I wouldn't trust this manifold system if it was pressurised.

legless I looked at these systems long and hard and did the same reading and listening as yourself before I jumped in and tackled 'Water' our scheme water is so variable and now has chloramines so water reports mean nothing. Now I have a baseline, RO, and build from there. Am I happy with the results? Bloody A1+......

IMG_1793.jpg
IMG_1795.jpg

Nice one mate. I just ordered a twin filter from those guys for drinking water for the kitchen, they look like they're good quality. Still on the fence about getting the RO system, mainly due to the fact that they say you need to run it at least once a week to keep the membrane clean but I would only need it every 3-4 weeks.

Nice RO rig mate, whats the damage for one of those?

I was having issues with chlorophenols (medical/band-aid like flavors) in a few early batches. I now use a carbon filter in conjunction with sodium metabisulfite (1/2 campden tablet per 25L) and haven't had any issues since.

Hello Lionman

https://www.psifilters.com.au/laund...se-osmosis-system-with-gauge-low-waste-1.html

Here is the system I got from psi + I got the remineraliser + TDS meter it was $280 ++ I'm very happy with the system and the quality of the beer, It made a BIG difference. Our water in south WA is a mix of bore, dam and RO so water reports are meaningless and many of the water treatment plants are being upgraded, so chloramine is the 'go to' sanitiser. Our water here goes from ok to disgusting but its safe to drink when its 40c just not to make good beer with - Problem Solved - Happy Days....

ps I dont like sulphites, many folks can drink them ok, me, I get a busting headache same as msg....

Scomet, I expect yours is in continuous use, does it say anything in the manual about intermittent use, I would be in the same boat as rsmallri, I was burning the midnight oil last night trying to find out more about them. I have decided to get one of the filter sets for coming from the rainwater tank to the hydroponic system because they had one which neutralised the pH back up to 7 by adding some magnesium oxide to the water. But I couldn't find out much more about the RO system.

IMG_1851.JPG
Heres mine
Dont know about the continuous use bit I just turn the valve to flush
after each use
Mounted it on a board so I can take it where ever I want

WEAL youre in Melbourne I wouldnt bother youre water is great for brewing

WEAL youre in Melbourne I wouldnt bother youre water is great for brewing
I have been reading and listening to Gordon Strong on brewing, he recommends that all brewers should at least try RO water, and yes Melbourne has got good water and I am used to the additions which I have to put into Cardinia water, I just want to see what difference it makes.

Contacted scomets link so hopefully find out more about them.

Borrow some or buy some water to try

Hi Legless I read thro the instructions and it make no mention of intermittent use, I use mine every two to three weeks, controlled by production/consumption it says to flush the membrane for 30sec after each use or 10 minutes every month - I do both using the water to clean the Brau. Operating system pressure is 40 to 90 psi temp 2c to 40c ph 3 to 11. RO membrane life is 2 to 5 years. My TDS readings are ~ in 85 out 2ppm and are the same as when I got it, about 2 years now... Cheers, incidentally my last brew the tap water ph was 6.18 and the RO was 3.37, hit the mash ph everytime :-}

Latest posts

Back