Reveiw. Pub With No Beer Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Unfortunatly due to work, I had to travell past the old Taylors Arm pub, now renamed The Pub With No Beer Brewery. Unfortunatly the car came to a complete stop in the carpark and refused to start.

The Taylors Arm pub is in a small village ( pop 70-80 ish ) about 30km west of Macksville. My old man was born and lived not far away at Bowraville and my grandparents lived worked in the region. I used to go there as a boy.

It is known as the pub with no beer because Gorden Parsons wrote the song about it that latter was made famous by Slim Dusty

The Beer

Sunrise Wheat Beer

Tasting notes mentioned a wheat beer with additions of coriander and orange peel.
Dont expect a Hoegarden...!. This was a very nice beer. Golden in colour and filtered. Only a very mild hint of coriander and orange, and very mild "wheat" spicyness. A nice blend af bitterness and flavours.Not as sweet as some. Very refreshing on a hot day.

Nirvana Pale Ale

Made using Cascade and Hallertau. Golden in colour. Initially it is bitter in the mouth with a smooth finish. Not my favourite but still a very nice beer and drinkable. Better suited to a cold day rather than hot summer days.

Dark Arm Ale

A verynice porter. My favourite. Same colour as Tooheys Old, but better. Smooth mouth feel with a nice hop and malt bitterness at the end. Not overpowering and well balanced. You could drink this all day if you are a lover of dark ale.... B)

Very Nice beers overall, probably one of the best Micro's that I have tasted beers from. But they are tuned toward the general public, so they are not designed to offend anyone.

I give it the thumbs up and is worth the visit.Have yet to visit inside the brewery, wich is behind the pub.

Unfortunatly I will have to pass thru at the end of the week, which gives the the chance to have a few more Dark Arm Ales

The wife and I stopped in the other week on the way to the Gold Coast. The beers at the moment were brewed at St Peters in Sydney by the brewer employed at the pub, as their Czech imported rig was still having some Gas burner issues at the time.

The beers were nice, with the pale being the pick of the litter for us. The wheat was off the mark in my opinion.

Got to tour the brewery and it's BEAUDIFUL !!!!! (Too gob-smacked for pics!). A wonderous copper configuration(Looks like a huge copper cappacino machine!!). The HLT is situated under the lauter tun. The mash tun and boiler are the same vessel!.
The mash is pumped to the lauter tun and can be decocted, as the lauter is heated too and then either pumped back to the remaining mash or strained to the boil.
The conditioning is done in a series of refridgerated shipping containers out the back(in bright tanks of course!)

Gunna be a ripper when its up and running!! Apparently the brewer is an award winning Kiwi brewer from Speights....

Reckon it would make a top spot for the first east coast AHB conference too !! :party: :party: :party:

Large open space, staging and copious amounts of campnig area with facilities

You organise the conference and I will be there with bells on.I only live about 2 hrs away from there. :super:

The missus and I are planning a trip down there soon, wich is good cause she likes Slim Dusty and just want to get a big belly full of Darm Arm Ale into me. They also serve food, but we all know that food eating food gets in the way of quality drinking time, and leaves less room for beer. :rolleyes:

:beerbang: Popped in on the way back from the Roots and blues fest. The new beer on is an Imperial IPA 7.5% Touted to be the hoppiest commercial beer in OZ and I believe
them. It was awesome a rich mix of Hallertau and Cascade the colour is copper like JS IPA

Latest posts

Back