Repurpose O2 bottle for CO2?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeBaseBuzz

Reaction score
My housemate is able to get his hands on a 6.8kg medical Oxygen bottle. Would this be able to be retasked to use with CO2?

I've read different opinions on the subject, but still haven't found a concrete answer.

Opinions on the all informative internet range from..
No, because it is a different colour :/ which was answered with "paint it"
No, because the valve has a different thread, to which someone answered, replace the valve.
I rang ElGas, and the call centre girl spoke to a tech dude who's opinion was that they have different linings, because oxygen is an oxidiser, and CO2 is inert. I still don't see a problem with that. an inert gas in a tank lined to prevent oxidisation should be fine.

So, I still don't know if the thread in the neck of a O2 bottle will take a CO2 valve, and even if it does, can I find someone who will do it.

Any opinions? Thoughts? Should I take a free bottle and try to retask it, or spend $200 or so on a CO2 bottle? Bearing in mind, I brew because I'm broke, and the only reason I an considering kegging is because I was given a couple corny kegs, and a reg, and lines and gun for free.

Firstly the bottle could be branded...Answer NO.
My bottle is a diving bottle repurposed for CO 2..But done by a pro....I can only get him to fill it...
I would not muck around as it cost me just as much as buying a Kegs-on Legs Bottle.
Refilling is the thing you have to keep in mind.One place won't fill anothers..
My 2 cents...
PJ

Keep it for O2 and have a jumbo sized yeast oxygenation kit.

Ed. I should add a note about taking extra care with O2 bottles if you do this.

I have done this. Got CO2 valve from Keg King for $20 and replaced the O2 one.

Biggest challenge is to find someone to fill it. Keg King will fill in Melbourne. Try some fire extinguisher fillers as they might do it for you.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Another tip I read, was to take it to a place that does both O2 and CO2, and just swap it. Apparently the O2 bottles are way more expensive, so most places will do it gladly... apparently. We will see :)

Latest posts

Back