Repitching Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny the plumber

Reaction score
I did a amber ale 2 days ago and it is happly fermenting away. I pitched a wyeast 1056.

I am doing the same brew for my brother today can I tap of 500ml and pitch into new brew?

Will this work and will it have enough yeast?

G'day Kenny. You may wait a few more days. I would check the gravity first and wait until most or all of the ferment is over. That way you will have a large amount of yeast on the bottom, not suspended. Collect approx 1 cup of slurry and pitch that.

thats what I would normally do but I'm impatient. I think I might rack the beer and put the new one straight in the fermenter with cake on bottom, that should work?

A whole cake is a whole lot of over pitch. Doesn't pose too many dramas for the first re-pitch, except that the yeast can go nuts and drastically raise the fermenting temperature of your beer.

Sorry for OT.
I just purchased a WLP002 English ale. Could i pitch that too a 2.5l starter, than split that in half and than pitch one of the remaining halfs into a 2.5l starter for a brew?
Id need it to ferment 25l of 1.040 Wort. TYVM

You'd be better pitching into a 1L starter, then split that into the 2.5L starter. For best yeast growth I think the next volume should be 5 times bigger than the current ?
You're not going to quite be able to achieve that with what you've got, but better to keep stepping the volumes up, if you can.

You can grow up your yeast starters up to 10x typically in each step, i.e. 100ml, then 1L, etc...

2c.

Latest posts

Back