Renewing The Yeast Cultures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shouldn't matter at all. some of mine do that after i streak them due to co2 production.

Kabooby,

I picked up some of the same vials that you have and made up 20slants today with 4g of agar to about 300ml of wort. Layed them down and it seems to have set quite well but I've noticed that if I rotate the vial the agar seems to slide around inside. It keeps it's shape and doesn't come loose but there is some movement, is this normal? They have also only been lying down for a few hours so i'll let them sit for 24hrs before I inoculate them.

hockers

I dont think it will matter. As Sprungmonkey said this can happen when you inoculate anyway

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

If someone is in the mood to organise a bulk buy for vials for slants

Livingstone have the following for sale (I'd emailed them previously to get dimensions etc) - couldn't see anything else on their site that would be appropriate

TP50SU 50ML PP SAMPLE FLAT BTM UNLBLDCONT SCREW CAP STERILE 700/CT $149.16 (inc GST)
Link: http://www.livingstone.com.au/catalogue.as...amp;cat_id=5292
Dimensions: 102mm high and 27mm diameter, polyethylene cap and polypropylene body.

The polypropylene tubes are autoclavable
The polyethylene caps are autoclavable for 20 mins @ 121*C

Livingstone equates to 21.4c per tube
Proscitech equates to 37.4c per tube
That's a massive saving of 16c per tube!

The only problem is that you need to buy 700 of the buggers

Links:
http://proscitech.com.au
http://livingstone.com.au

Note: I'm not putting my hand up to organise

No affiliation

Cheers

Hi all, I posted about my very amatuer yeast harvesting here on the forums so forgive the cross posting, but I'd like some expert advice.

I pulled 2 litres of my trub/slurry off into bottles on Tuesday night and have it stored in plastic in the fridge. It has separated into beer water on top and solid mud on the bottom - a good few centimetres of banded sediment.

Is this re-useable? Should I have been pouring off the beer water from the top? I opened it to let some carbon dioxide out this morning and it was pretty fizzy.

Is this worth trying to re-use?

Any advice for cleaning this up or should I chuck it? (It was a Nottingham Danstar yeast)

Cheers

Hi all, I posted about my very amatuer yeast harvesting here on the forums so forgive the cross posting, but I'd like some expert advice.

I pulled 2 litres of my trub/slurry off into bottles on Tuesday night and have it stored in plastic in the fridge. It has separated into beer water on top and solid mud on the bottom - a good few centimetres of banded sediment.

Is this re-useable? Should I have been pouring off the beer water from the top? I opened it to let some carbon dioxide out this morning and it was pretty fizzy.

Is this worth trying to re-use?

Any advice for cleaning this up or should I chuck it? (It was a Nottingham Danstar yeast)

Cheers

Have a look at this link

Link

Rook

I got 50x30ml containers with lids for $31 including postage, you can get 100x10ml for about the same price.

link is here http://www.proscitech.com.au/cataloguex/on...p?page=l9#lch04

I got the PP with PP lids (LP9025-UU Vee bottom containers, PP, with PP screw cap, 30mL, unlabelled AUD17.00 /pk/50) as these are Autoclavable, so no need to leave the lid loose while they cool after boiling, i feel that this increases the chance of them getting infected and should work when I get a pressure cooker.

There is a description of the differant plastics and their properties/tolerances here http://www.proscitech.com.au/cataloguex/plastics.asp

They do drop their price to 15.30 if we order 10X50 but I suspect that the extra postage would negate the advantage of a bulk buy.

I suspect that the 10ml ones would do but went for the bigger ones as I felt they would be easier to work with. Anyone else got an opinion on the best slant size???

rgds mike

ADDIT to my last the postage for 10x50 30ml jars is only 16.50 so probably there would be a saving of nearly $10 pp if we did a bulk buy. Any interest????

I would take another 50 and would be happy to coordinate. There is only a $6 saving (postage only) if the order is doubled.

rgds mike

Just thought I'd share my first go at slants and completion of yeast ranch. Very easy to do and better way then the previous I was using which resulted in mostly contaminated samples.

IMGP2947.jpg

IMGP2954.jpg

Greetings yeast culture's.

I put together my first batch of slants today. They are currently solidifying and waiting for the inoculation stage. I have three questions:

1. After sterilisation the tubes, filling with the feeder solution and sealing - there is condensation in the tubes. Will this h2o have an adverse effect after inoculation?

2. If so, is there a way to remove it?

3. When inoculating the slant should the growth medium be scratched to allow better grounding for the cells or is it only necessary to smear across the surface.

Cheers, Hoges.

I have three questions:

1. After sterilisation the tubes, filling with the feeder solution and sealing - there is condensation in the tubes. Will this h2o have an adverse effect after inoculation?

2. If so, is there a way to remove it?

3. When inoculating the slant should the growth medium be scratched to allow better grounding for the cells or is it only necessary to smear across the surface.

howdy Hogan,

to 1.) thats just normal, after a couple of days the condens water will disappear, anyway it should be sterile and doesnt really matters.

to 2.) earlier in the thread Ive described a possible method to avoid an overly moisture in the vessels

to 3.) no, dont need to scratch, just smear across the surface or, like I do, roll a cotton wool swap over the surface.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

howdy Hogan,

to 1.) thats just normal, after a couple of days the condens water will disappear, anyway it should be sterile and doesnt really matters.

to 2.) earlier in the thread Ive described a possible method to avoid an overly moisture in the vessels

to 3.) no, dont need to scratch, just smear across the surface or, like I do, roll a cotton wool swap over the surface.

Thanks Zwickel.

Cheers, Hoges.

Picked up a couple of Agar plates from work on Friday. After reading this post and the fact that I opened up a brand new pack of 1084, I had to give it a bash. The dark patches are where I broke through the agar and hopefully not mould. The plates were left at room temp for 24hrs and have since been put into the fridge.

Back Yard Brewer

Yeast.JPG

Hey, I really appreciate all the good info in this thread as I have been trying to move back towards liquid yeasts and this looks like a great way for me to do it. Couple of questions though.
1) If using the cotton swab method, do you sanitize it in any way.
2) Where do you get ethyl alcohol from as it seems like a nice way of cleaning.

If any one is looking into a bulk buy of test tubes I would be interested. May just order them direct but if there is bulk at cheaper prices I am keen.
Cheers.
Scott.

Hey Scott,

You can sanitize it buy steam. You can get ethyl alcohol from a chemist. They may sell you a bottle or you can get it in the way of mediswabs.

I haven't used the alcohol on cotton tips but have used it for a loop

Kabooby :)

the professional way is to use a platinum loop, sterilized over a Bunsen burner (gas flame). Im using steam for the cotton wool. Dont use any chemicals or alcohol for that, it will kill the yeast as well.

Back Yard Brewer, Petri dishes are not really practical, since they are not hermetically closed. Petri dishes are more for a short term use.

Back Yard Brewer, Petri dishes are not really practical, since they are not hermetically closed. Petri dishes are more for a short term use.

Thought I would give it a trial for short term. Spur of the moment thing when I saw them kicking around work and just after I read this post. I want to try and use one in a couple weeks.

BYB

2) Where do you get ethyl alcohol from as it seems like a nice way of cleaning.

methylated spirits is 96-99% ethanol. is perfect for sterilization, just dilute to 70% for hands, surfaces etc, and leave as is for sterilizing a loop (as you want it to vaporize before looping cells)

I used to wave my ss inoculation loop over a naked flame (cigaratte lighter or similar).
Don't bother with agar etc any more. I just either split a pack into 6-8 tubes or farm a used yeast into a similar number of tubes.
Good information re the metho. :icon_cheers:

TP :beer:

Only just found this thread again :p

have you ever done it? you can see the difference very well. Put it in hot wort and youll get clumps, hard to dissolve. No problem in cold wort.
I have, and the agar just sunk as a powder to the bottom and never dissolved... Or do you mean to add it to cold water so it doesnt clump, then boil, during which it will dissolve?

I originally wanted to use this as a vegetarian gelatin substitute, and for this reason its not always possible.

the stir bars are made to get autoclaved. Otherwise you could use a stirbar only once.
After use Im sterilizing the bars in a steam pressure cooker.
We have stir bars in our laboratory they get used since more than 10 years and steady autoclaved, they havent lost theire magnetism, not at all.

anyway, its not a good idea to stir the hot wort with a magnetic stirrer, thats simply unnecessary, just boiling is enough.

Thats interesting, the magnets I play with say that if they are heated they loose their magnetism.. maybe they have to get hotter than an autoclave before that happens?

Latest posts

Back