Removing Freezer Condensation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
Brewers,

I'm tired of mopping out my converted 500 litre freezer every week or so to get rid of the condensation water lying on the bottom & was thinking of getting one of THESE.
Problem is that the outer case is made of cardboard (Emailed them) & I'm unsure if it's waterproof enough to be uneffected long term sitting on the freezer hump\on top of the kegs? Perhaps just use loose silica jell granules in an open plastic container?

So what do you other brewers use in your converted freezers? Does anyone use the above? Any help appreciated.

TP

TP, won't the silica gel keep the cardboard dry anyway? I thought that would've been why they do it like that.

Also, check out officeworks, they have lots of dessicant stuff in plastic tubs.

You will find that stuff does not absorb all that much water, in our climate you will need to recharge it every week or two.

I would just leave a spot and dump an old towel in there, and swap it for another one once a week.

QldKev

Good question, I've been wondering the same thing myself and don't have a solution yet but was thinking about giving epsom salt a go, you can bake it to drive off moisture.

I've been using one of the plastic ones above. Yep, it fills up with water alright, indicating that it is indeed absorbing water from the air in my freezer but to be honest I haven't seen any visible affects in the freezer. I've never had a massive problem though. I mean the bottom of my freezer isn't a continuous layer of water, even after months, but there's generally always a bit of water in the corners. I probably spill enough beer in the bottom of my freezer that I shouldn't be worried at all about condensation like I used to be.

Honestly, I would put the effort into sealing the bottom of the freezer to the point where it is proper waterproof and can handle even an inch or two of moisture in there. Who cares right? It doesn't actually matter I don't reckon unless it's causing you issues.

Latest posts

Back