Reissdorf Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamboat

Fantasy Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,
Today I stopped in at a bottleshop and picked up a bottle of Reissdorf Kolsch. It has been my understanding that getting a Kolsch outside of Germany was fairly difficult, so I jumped at this chance.

Can anybody tell me whether this beer is a good representation of the Kolsch style, or does it compare to the real thing more like a Tooheys Pils to a PU.

dreamboat

Have no personal experience, but it does make an entry in Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide - 500 Classic Brews.

"Brewery established in 1894. After WWII pioneered the style of Kolsch as universally brewed in Cologne today (book was written in 2000) Beer has a minty, hop aroma, vanilla-like malt flavours and a crispy dry cedary finish. A delicious kolsch."

Sounds like you did well db. How much did it set you back?

Cool,dreamboat.
Tell us how it tastes, and we can tell ya if its a good Koelsch !

My brother headed of to Duseldorf Germany yesterday, and i demanded this time he bring me back a good Koelsch and Alt, not like the last time he brought me a 'Fruh' Koelsch, that was crap and a Diebells (sp) that was crap also.

'Prost'
:beerbang:

Can't recall the $$... I bought the kolsch, a small chimay blue (2005), a bottle of bass and two wiehestephaners (sp) for $30.
Only 5 kolsch's left on the shelf as of today... was around $22 for the six pack, but that had been split.

dreamboat

I had one of these a couple of months ago from the bottlo @ Kahibah (Info for Novocastrians). No affiliation.

Didn't get the vanilla-like malt flavours, or the minty hops. The beer had still travelled well, and exhibited the crispy dry cedary finish.

To my uninitiated tastebuds, it was like a dry Nth German pils with a pleasant indefinable taste that reeked of ale. Not sure what it was, and I didn't have more than one.

It cost about $3.50 for the stubbie and was verrrry drinkable, with true German maltiness, and some Hallertau(?) hops. It just wasn't as fresh as those that Michael Jackson tasted, so I didn't get everything he did

The beer was quite pale as I recall, and the flavour begged me to buy more (probably in Koln).

This incoherent flow-of -thought ramble was brought to you courtesy of BYO's Czech Pils recipe (with optional triple decoction) and the influence of Dr Hunter S. Thompson.

Beerz
Seth :p

Reissdorf is probably the most popular koelsch in Cologne. So I reckon it is pretty much a typical version as you would ever get. Perhaps not the best, but the most representative.

The real problem with Koelsch is that it really doesn't travel well. So if you buy some, make sure you drink it as quick as possible ;)

Berp.

berapnopod said:
<chopped>
The real problem with Koelsch is that it really doesn't travel well. So if you buy some, make sure you drink it as quick as possible ;)
</chopped>
[post="98933"][/post]​

Hear, hear...as if you wouldn't?

I consumed my purchase the same day, so I got it as young as possible. Was still in-date, but wasn't too over-flavoured. Still fresh enough to be nice, but not brewery-fresh.

Damn... missed my chance last night.... the wife had a paintbrush in my hand within 5 minutes of making that post....tonight, hopefully.

dreamboat

Latest posts

Back