Regulator For 3 Ring Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day,
got a question that is slightly off topic. I have a natural gas outlet on my patio and was wondering if anyone uses or knows if you can use natural gas over LPG on the three or four ring burners. If so are there any advantages/ disadvantages apart from the obvious of not having to re-fill your gas or running out mid boil? Any feedback would be greatful.

Cheers.
Jeff.

I've done plenty of BBQ conversions as well as gas heaters. With those it's just a matter of re jetting the appliance. Piece of piss. I'd assume the procedure is the same here but I don't know where you'd get the bits. Best off to ask the manufacturer.

I have a four ring of the same design. When I first got it, the first thing I wanted to do was to get rid of it or get a higher pressure reg as it used to play up like a two dollar watch - I still use it and still have the standard BBQ reg. Middle ring will burn fine if I don't use the outer ring so I don't use the inner ring much, it most likely has some thing to do with burned air to escape.

What I did to improve it was -
1. Get a small drill bit that just fits in the outlet holes and drill through each and every one of them to clear the excess casting and the paint that was partially blocking the holes. Made a huge difference to the flames.
2. Wind the brass rings completely out away from the burner.
3. Have the underside of the burner set up so there is plenty of air supply.
4. To improve efficiency I have a wind/heat shield around the burner and has a gap between the kettle and itself to keep the heat directed at the kettle bottom.

I am quite happy with the burner and have no need to change. I get eight to nine ninety minute double batch boils out of a 9kg bottle.

Here is a pic of my burner setup.

View attachment 46882

Cheers
Gavo

Hey Gavo
What kind of kettle do you use, something like a giant stock pot?
I think it may be time to retire the old 'keggle'. I think a lot of the energy from the burner must be going into just heating that giant lump of metal..

Hey Gavo
What kind of kettle do you use, something like a giant stock pot?
I think it may be time to retire the old 'keggle'. I think a lot of the energy from the burner must be going into just heating that giant lump of metal..

I have a 60lt Robinox aluminum stockpot which I have plumbed in a ball valve and pickup tube. I got mine from Craftbrewer.
With right setup for holding in the heat a lot of energy can be saved, when I first set mine up and experimented I was progressively using less and less gas. Keeping out of the wind alone can make a huge difference. Usually in summer I only use ring 2 and 3 to keep (assuming the inner and outer ring as ring ring 1 and 4) it on a rolling boil. Yesterday was a cold day here so ring 2 and four.

Cheers
Gavo.

I have a four ring of the same design. When I first got it, the first thing I wanted to do was to get rid of it or get a higher pressure reg as it used to play up like a two dollar watch - I still use it and still have the standard BBQ reg. Middle ring will burn fine if I don't use the outer ring so I don't use the inner ring much, it most likely has some thing to do with burned air to escape.

What I did to improve it was -
1. Get a small drill bit that just fits in the outlet holes and drill through each and every one of them to clear the excess casting and the paint that was partially blocking the holes. Made a huge difference to the flames.
2. Wind the brass rings completely out away from the burner.
3. Have the underside of the burner set up so there is plenty of air supply.
4. To improve efficiency I have a wind/heat shield around the burner and has a gap between the kettle and itself to keep the heat directed at the kettle bottom.

I am quite happy with the burner and have no need to change. I get eight to nine ninety minute double batch boils out of a 9kg bottle.

Here is a pic of my burner setup.

View attachment 46882

Cheers

Agree with everything posted here. I use a three ring burner, and have just cleaned the burner holes out again. No sign of any yellow flames since cleaning. I used a 3 mm drill bit - took about 5 minutes. I do use a medium pressure regulator though. Once I have a boil going I can generally keep it going on the middle ring, but occasionally I will need to use another ring to keep it going.
The medium pressure burner just gives it a little more oomph. I get between 8 - 10 brews out of an 8.5 kg bottle.
Cheers
LagerBomb
Gavo

Back