Registering Domains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
II know there are a hundred sites out there, where you can register a domain. Anyone know a reasonably price one that I can trust to hand over my credit card details to?

maddogdomains if you want NON .au stuff

crazydomains i've used for .au

need hosting too?

maddogdomains if you want NON .au stuff

crazydomains i've used for .au

need hosting too?

Thanks

I was looking at crazydomains, the .com and .net are just $7 a year

I was just going to use my ISP for hosting, but how much would hosting be if I went elsewhere? (current site is php/jquery with mysql)

Once you have the domain name, how do you point it to the ip address you want?

edit: Just checked iinet does not provide any databases to use! doh! So if I want my guestbook etc to work I either have to go a manual file, or find somewhere else.

i use bluehost, about US$6 / month for a year signup ... been using for many years with no issues

just update the name servers with your domain provider to point to your host (in my case bluehost) , should take 24hrs max

PM if you get stuck and i'll walk you through it

I've been with a lot of domain registrars over the years. I currently use Jumba as it has good prices for AU and US domains, decent control panels, decent support and best of all you're not faced with a million ads whenever you want to do something (looking at you Godaddy you ****).

Also if your site is basic I'll host it for free (MySQL/PHP)

The website is just the one from my sig
home.exetel.com.au/qldkev
Currently a whopping 172mb, but I would like a lot more space to play with.
edit: Just checked iinet give me 1GB of space (but no db)

I'm no longer with exetel, and they have taken away my ftp access to the site. (which is fair)

This time I want a domain name to keep forever, so it doesn't matter where it is hosted.

To get an AU domain do I need a business name?

Shameless plug - the missus runs a web hosting business. You can register just domains or register and host them as well.

www.airgeadstudio.net.

Last time I looked .au domans were $30 for 2 years .com were $15/year. Dearer than crazydomains but we have customer service...

Cheers
Dave

The website is just the one from my sig
home.exetel.com.au/qldkev
Currently a whopping 172mb, but I would like a lot more space to play with.
edit: Just checked iinet give me 1GB of space (but no db)

I'm no longer with exetel, and they have taken away my ftp access to the site. (which is fair)

This time I want a domain name to keep forever, so it doesn't matter where it is hosted.

To get an AU domain do I need a business name?

I'll host that for you for free.

For AU domains you really need at least an ABN.

II know there are a hundred sites out there, where you can register a domain. Anyone know a reasonably price one that I can trust to hand over my credit card details to?

Wolfy on this forum has a business hosting sites on his servers. I think you can register domains through him also. You wouldn't have to worry about your credit card details when dealing with him, I think he has a link in his sig.

fwiw, I use godaddy to register my domain and google sites to host the shit for free. Although, I hear google is not free anymore.... pointing domain name etc was easy, google gave specific hints on what to do with godaddy.

Thanks for all the info, and thanks Mark for the offer to host the site.

I ended up with crazydomains and put the pages up onto my isp for now (although no db)

The site is now up and running qldkev.net, although no guestbook for now.

This morning I get informed by my bank I have a nice Christmas present on my credit card. I've been hacked and now I have a few grand worth of travel booked to my card. :angry: :angry:

Back