Refractometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience or feedback about the super cheap refractometers?

If by super cheap you are referring to the ones sold on alibaba and the like then yes, I've had a couple ( dropped and broken ) and they work fine. Pretty well never use a hydro anymore, just now and a gain to verify readings on the refrac.

I see some for about $22. Wondering how accurate they are. I have heard somewhere you can get a different reading each time with the same solution.

I've got one the $50ish ones and couldn't be happier with it. It lets me easily take reading during sparging, pre-boil as well as all the way through fermentation, letting me graph the progress of fermentation. (yes, I'm en engineer :)). I'm not sure if the one I have is the same as the really cheap ones, with a slightly better case or better quality but for $50 it one of my best brewing purchases.

The ones I have cost about the same and work fine. They have ATC ( auto temp compensation ) but only to about 30C, so you need to cool wort down before taking a reading. I've found the best way to cool is suck up wort in 5ml syringe and leave to cool. Putting a drop or 2 hot on the glass and blowing it to cool down can cause probs because of evaporating.

I basically do the same thing when taking hot samples. I use an eye dropper to get the sample put it on the refractometer (with ATC), I then leave it for a couple of minutes to cool, you can watch the SG increase, typically by a few points.

Latest posts

Back