Refractometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others have stated you can get conversions to work out the SG of wort + alcohol.
When your beer is finishing ferment, they are great to ensure the same reading is achieved for a couple of days, does not matter what the number is, or on what scale, as long as it is static. When you consistenly get the same number, then you can go back to your hydrometer for the final reading.

Being new to brewing, I am looking for a refractometer that will show me when the brix level is static and the fermentation is complete. Is the 0-32% brix refractometer the one to get, or is there a better one?

No simple brewing instrument will tell you whether fermentation is complete or not, only by achieving the same reading over 2 or 3 days and the (converted) SG being around or below the expected FG is the fermentation finished.

0-32% brix is a good scale to get, but being new to brewing I would almost stick with a hydrometer; it gives you direct SG readings. I find my refractometer is most helpful taking quick measurements during my mash.

0-32% brix is a good scale to get, but being new to brewing I would almost stick with a hydrometer; it gives you direct SG readings. I find my refractometer is most helpful taking quick measurements during my mash.

I read somewhere else here that the 0-32% scale is too small to read - does anyone else believe a 0-18% scale would be better?

I read somewhere else here that the 0-32% scale is too small to read - does anyone else believe a 0-18% scale would be better?
Conversion to SG is approx 4 times Brix. Therefore 18 brix = 1.072 SG. 0-18 scale would be easiest to read (if you don't do barley wine,, and don't need to measure first run wort from your mash), but I think they are less common than the 0-32 scale, therefore more expensive.

I use a 0-32% myself and find it fine - the brix side is easier to get a clear reading on than the SG down the other side.

Only of real benefit for checking SG out of the mash tun and pre-boil to quickly check how you are tracking against your targets - nice to have raher than a necessity.

One it hits the fermentor, I use a hydrometer for all samples going forward.

Cheers,

Brendo

One it hits the fermentor, I use a hydrometer for all samples going forward.

Just curious, why do you use the hydrometer during fermentation?

I like to monitor SG repeatedly toward the end of fermentation to ensure I don't get bottle bombs, and one of the appeals of the refractometer is that I don't have to continually waste beer samples as I do with the hydrometer.

AFAIK, Refracometers measure light density through liquids with water as the reference. If you measure fermetned beer it will be out because alcohol is lighter than water. there is a calculation you can make to adjust.. honestly its not really worth the effort. I only use mine during mash runoff and to grab the og into the boiler so i can adjust boiling times etc. You can however use a hydrometer and a refractometer in conjunction to find out the starting gravity of a fermented beer if it was unknown.... google it!

It is worth the effort considering all the hydrometers I've broken. When I broke the last one I finally bought a refractometer and have been kicking myself ever since for not buying it sooner. I don't have a hydrometer anymore and I don't want one either. I'm happy with my refractometer, and it's a simple matter of plugging the OG and current (finished) brix reading into this online worksheet to come up with the FG. Easy.

It is worth the effort considering all the refractometers hydrometers I've broken.

I'm guessing this is what you meant, newguy. ;)

I tend to use my hydrometer for measuring FG. However, it's certainly handy to use the refractometer if it's a beer that's taking ages to finish instead of taking many samples. It's really easy to do the calculations, Fourstar, if you have a copy of Beersmith etc. :p

I'm guessing this is what you meant, newguy. ;)

I tend to use my hydrometer for measuring FG. However, it's certainly handy to use the refractometer if it's a beer that's taking ages to finish instead of taking many samples. It's really easy to do the calculations, Fourstar, if you have a copy of Beersmith etc. :p

D'oh! Yes, that's what I meant. Better go edit the original now. ;)

It is worth the effort considering all the hydrometers I've broken. When I broke the last one I finally bought a refractometer and have been kicking myself ever since for not buying it sooner. I don't have a hydrometer anymore and I don't want one either. I'm happy with my refractometer, and it's a simple matter of plugging the OG and current (finished) brix reading into this online worksheet to come up with the FG. Easy.

+1 for wishing I got one sooner too! Only broke 1 hydrometer, and now that I have a refractometer I will never go back.

It's really easy to do the calculations, Fourstar, if you have a copy of Beersmith etc. :p

Really, well beersmith is my brew application of choice. i havnt bothered using the refrac tool yet. Looks like i might start using it in the future.

For what its worth I bought this unit from Hong Kong for $26 Australian Dollars on eBay.

Should be here in about 7 more days.

What unit?
What unit?
I must know!

The infamous ATC 32% Brix Refractomer:
A sucrose refractometer

Sold out of Hong Kong, quoted in GBP although AUD equivalent was $26

Specifications

* Measuring range: 0-32% Brix
* Accuracy : +/-0.20% Brix
* Compensation temperature range: 10C-30C
* Calibration: zero calibration with water at 20C
* Solid aluminum alloy body

Package Includes

* 1 refractometer
* 1 mini screw driver for calibration
* 1 pc of 2 mm (in diameter) pipette
* 50 pcs of precise 1 mm (in diameter) pipettes
* Operation Manual
* Hard plastic portable carrying case

Something like this:
refractometer.jpg

No affiliations-- but if you're too lazy to search, I bought from this guy:
easylifeproduct

I just had a stupid arguement with my girlfriend over the necessity of a refrac to an AG brewer.

Kind Brewer Pete, would you kindly in your infinite benevolence post the results of your infamous ATC 32% Brix Refractomer, so I can politely submit these for review?

I just had a stupid arguement with my girlfriend over the necessity of a refrac to an AG brewer.

Kind Brewer Pete, would you kindly in your infinite benevolence post the results of your infamous ATC 32% Brix Refractomer, so I can politely submit these for review?

Kindly stepping aside from arguments with women :)

Refractometer arrived early but didn't have free time where with all the getting of additional brew adjuncts, bottling day, and a new 60 liter fermenter. I finally got some distiller water to calibrate the thing. It said it was already calibrated from the factory but seeing how it had such a long trip I wanted to be sure before using.

First night I missed my 20c window of oppurtunity. Second night I cought it just in time. I didn't use ambient air temp or gauges around the house but instead an accurate glass lab thermometer measuring the distiller water sample.

20c on the line and I pulled the included adjustment screwdriver out of it's bubblewrap and place two drops on the prism and waited 30 seconds for the sample to stabilize before taking a reading. Reading was spot on the 0 Brix line. Calibration was perfect as is out of the box.

I have the brix only version so I have a large brix scale to look at insead of multiple scales so the scale is clear to see. I have 140watt warm light spectrum fluro light source so bright to see and no heat generated by the light. Actual watt is under 40 but equivalent to the high number in incandescent.

So far tested all my juices, run through beersmith, have conversion sheets for mead and corrections for readings with alcohol in the sample.

Two drops, still can't get over it :)

Jazzed!

It's the Devil's work I tell ya. :lol: I got an expensive Japanese one , be dammed if I can get it to give me as an accurate measurement as my hydro.Dam thing is possessed.Things all over the place like a mad womans shit.
Only my humble opinion.If you like yours go for it.
GB

Latest posts

Back