Refillink Keg - Same Beer, Do I Need To Clean It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuzzy

Reaction score
As the title suggests, keg kept in fridge ~4C, same beer style replacing it, do I need to clean it every time? Or can I get away with a second batch?

There's just a slightly higher risk. If it was me I'd pour a kettle full of boiling water into the keg, slosh it around a bit, and then empty it, then I'd Starsan it and fill as per normal. I guess if you filter then there shouldn't be much dregs and you could rack straight on top.

Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to wash and shake a few times as if you are just cleaning out a bottle, then Starsan and shake n drain then fill. To do the post I use the "Ross method" and pour a kettle of boiling water in, close the lid, shake then quickly depress the beer-out with a sharp object - do this outside as you get a fountain. :)

I haven't tried it, but the first thing that comes to my mind is the bit of sludge that usually forms at the end of the keg from all the yeast, etc dropping out over time. Adding beer on top of that would obviously mix it in to that beer, and if there was any contamination with the first beer, it could be magnified in the second one.

I guess if you filter, have a fast turn over and can do a clean transfer, it could be alright. I personally wouldn't recommend it though.

Cheers,
Kris.

cheers guys. Will do hot water. As it it a Pale Ale a bit of cloudy-ness is OK by me.

Just did this very thing. Did a quick rinse and pulled the out tube. Was surprised at how much yeast gunk was in it.

I then did a quick rinse with StarSan. Not worth the risk of infection verses how little time it takes to do this quick clean.

Our last keg had hops stuck in the poppet. Just not worth cutting a few minutes for the potential problems.

I would not do this all the time as a film could build up and make it harder to get a clean keg.

I will often give them a quick clean and get them back into service.

Firstly thou, when the keg is empty I leave it full of CO2 and in the fridge if possible. So if the beer in it was not infected, the keg is ok.

When I'm ready to reuse it allowing the keg has not been sitting too long; I have quick disconnects Gas In and Beer Out that I slide onto the end of my hose. Open the lid of the keg and hit the water on flat out. This blasts the tubes and water onto the bottom of the keg. I leave it running until the keg overflows with the water; and then its time to refill. No starsan. I have not introduced an infection doing it this way yet.

Sometimes I do get a keg that the dregs won't wash away easily, then it's time for a full clean and re sanatise. Same if the kegs has sat around for a while, or the seal has leaked the CO2 then it's time for a proper clean.

QldKev

Kev what's the water charges like up your way? Might be forced to move if Bligh and the Moreton council continue to apply the screws ever tighter to SEQ residents, becoming totally unaffordable to live in Brisbane area now, with water charges now looking like $30 a WEEK ffs.

Kev what's the water charges like up your way? Might be forced to move if Bligh and the Moreton council continue to apply the screws ever tighter to SEQ residents, becoming totally unaffordable to live in Brisbane area now, with water charges now looking like $30 a WEEK ffs.

Not sure what it is changing to, but currently
Sewerage $480
Bins $240
Water $315
+ Consumption @ 0.78c kilolitre ( first 183 k/l per 6 months, we never go over)

All up about $20 a week + Consumption

Say I use 25L cleaning a keg = consumption is about 2c of water, not too bad at all.

The $30 per week is that total rates or just water? What are the rate and consumption break down?

QldKev

Funny, the amount of time spent in getting response to this question and then replying you could have cleaned 4 kegs! :lol:

I will often give them a quick clean and get them back into service.

Firstly thou, when the keg is empty I leave it full of CO2 and in the fridge if possible. So if the beer in it was not infected, the keg is ok.

Sounds like you are doing a good job.

Have to remind you that all home brew is infected to some extent. It is just a matter of if the yeast has overpowered the infection.

I think your method of flushing with tap water is a good start. A squirt of StarSan is just the icing on the cake.

Have to remember that some are using tank water and who knows what is lurking in that?

Sounds like you are doing a good job.

Have to remind you that all home brew is infected to some extent. It is just a matter of if the yeast has overpowered the infection.

I think your method of flushing with tap water is a good start. A squirt of StarSan is just the icing on the cake.

Have to remember that some are using tank water and who knows what is lurking in that?

I agree about all beer is infected, our objective is to minimise the flavour impact.

I'm just worried about using Starsan all the time, being another chemical is it good for us? I know people say don't fear the bubbles etc. I would never use the fermentor without Starsan prep.

Good point about the water source. Where I live we have highly chlorinated water which makes it easy and fairly safe. If I was using tank water I would use a lot more Starsan.

QldKev

Back