Reduction cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
Something i have always had amazing success with is reducing a generic supermarket juice via boiling to roughly half its volume.
It's very time consuming, labor intensive and not to mention a bit expensive, but the results would be almost on par with bulmers.
Making a reduction effectively doubles the available fructose and doubles the bloody workload. So many issues with it especially if you get distracted and end up with a big pot of unusable charred sugars.
In the past I have put the juice back into the original bottles but saccharomyces found its way in and started chomping away at the fructose before I even had a chance of adding a particular strain, I have learned to avoid this by adding mangrove jacks cider yeast into the fermenter straight away and working backwards, filling it more and more as I add additional reduction to the 23L mark.
If you stick to your guns and try to forget the sheer insanity of the exercise you end up with a very decent drop.
Just try to avoid fresh juice like nudie, the carbonation just doesn't happen and you get crazy amounts of sediment.
Gonna give pineapple juice a go next time around.

I'm not sure I can see the point. If you want a double strength cider you can add sugar. And it won't taste like apple sauce.

Back