Reducing Mash Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you or will you be trying mashing for reduced lengths of time?

• Yes - I've reduced my mash times with no ill effects

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - I tried mashing for a reduced time - but the result was poor

• Yes - I may try reducing my mash time in the future

• No way - short mashes are evil! 60-90 minutes here!

• I don't know

• Total voters
I've done a 25 min mash, 35 min mash, average nowadays is about 45 mins because it saves me half an hour's brewing - all have worked fine and still get >80% efficiency.

Tricks are a fine crush (mine is set to about 0.7mm atm, which sometimes causes the "rollers going but no crush" syndrome) and keeping the grist:water ratio a bit higher than normal (>2.75:1)

Most of the work is done after 20mins but I need the full 60mins, esspecially if doing a temp stepped mash, to get the HLT up to each step temp. 60min's is fine for me. Now that I NO CHILL the brew day is only 4 hours anyway.

Steve

For the last few brews i've reduced the mash time to 30 - 40 mins. Iodine tests have shown that conversion has been completed after 20-25 minutes, but cause I've been doing other stuff, i didn't drain to the kettle straight away. Brews have been as good as with a full 60 min mash. Infact my xmas case entry had a 30 min mash - so judge for yourselves (well those who are in the case can)

I've tried reducing mash times but found that my lagers in particular really struggled to come up to scratch. Ales on the other hand showed no ill effect but either way I've gone back to doing full 90min mashes for both.

On my current system I mash between 60 and 90 mins, mainly due to the lack of pumps and electric agitator.

I find that I get a better extraction from the 90min mash on my system. I am planing on building a HERMS system. I recon that will help out in reducing the times as the conversion will be more consistant throughout the vessel.

Back