Reddish Backed Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo_dr

Reaction score
SWMBO has requested a Red Back similar beer on tap at home, so brew #1 for 2017 is going to be an attempt.

Advice / Critique appreciated - doesn't seem to have been much Red Back chat recently!

2.5kg Wheat
2kg Pilsner
250g Vienna

Mash Schedule:

Mash in 37oC & heat to

50oC held for 20 minutes, then heat to

65oC held for 60 minutes, then heat to

78oc held for 10 minutes

Boil 60mins:
8g Magnum for 60mins
25g Saaz at 5 mins

WB-06 yeast - ferment reasonably warm (she loves the banana!)

I've not tried this before - any advice much appreciated thanks!

View attachment Claire's Red Back Clone-1.pdf

Brew done, that's one for 2017 already!

Efficiency down to 65% from usual 78%, somewhat disappointing but should still come in at 4.3%. Will let you know how it ends up.

HNY and happy brewing 2017

That's quite a drop in efficiency, do you usually do step mashes like that?

When making wheat beer, I usually mill the wheat twice. Once by itself and then mixed in with the barley. That usually helps with my efficiency.

I'm a bit disappointed that there are so many Redback threads on AHB, and yet not one is anywhere near definitive. ** Most have no follow-up, so we never find out how the beer tasted. Assume that it was crap and brewer is ashamed/CBF to report results.
Also disappointing is that people seem to be only "making this for the missus". Can people not take ownership to liking the beer I used to like it when it was a new style to the market? Even up to about 10 years ago was OK, but recently the freshness is not there, and soapy dishwater is the main character I get.

Guess I'll have to devote some time this year to this beer (in between trying to recreate earlier successes with the Schneider Weisse clone, which has been well-received in the recipes section) and knowing that I cannot rely on any direct feedback from Matilda Bay (based on experience).

Let the challenge begin!

Only my 4th brew on the braumeister so still getting the hang of it, and these have been my first step mashes - used to do a single step & mash out in an esky before.

The first Brew I did with the brau was even less efficient, so whilst I'm disappointed it's not a disaster!

Les - I love Redback, but SWMBO specifically ordered it, she's just about to push out our first and wants it on tap. Hopefully this is the first step on the road to a successful, or better, clone of a lovely drop. It's so bloody hard to find nowadays too...

More to follow!

All done, racked to keg for a slow carb with dextrose. Tasted pretty good out of the fermenter, 3-4 weeks and it'll be on tap. Happy days

Maybe it's the braumeister causing poor efficiency...

I watched a direct comparison between braumeister and grainfather done by time4another1 on youtube. The GF got something like 8ish more gravity points out of the same grain bill.... I was shocked.

Could be - my first brew on the braumeister was awful, but I've had some pretty good results before this wheatie and my brew yesterday (mostly pale ale with a snifter of wheat) was back up in the high 70's.

I should probably do a bit more reading about mash schedules and understand it a bit better!!

Cracked the keg tonight - it's really quite nice! Good banana, I think just needs a slightly bigger mouth feel. Just need to find a bottlo that sells Red Back to compare now! ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485344013.702758.jpg

Use to drink this back in the 90's with a slice of lemon in the bottle! Loved it out fresh out of a tap at the pubs in Perth!
Think I might have to brew this one in the near future!
Let us know how close it is to the original. Thanks for bringing this up roo_dr!

Back