Red Rye Semi-sour Saison of sorts. Any Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StaticPhase

Reaction score
Hey all just wanted to get some thoughts on this idea I've been throwing around.

900ml Sour mash 2-3 days at 40ish

add that to the following on brew day

1kg Pils
400g Pale (because I have it)
400g Rye
120g Carafa II
1.1kg DME Golden light
1.5kg LME Pils
200g Table sugar

20g Styrian Goldings @60
16g East Kent Goldings (left overs) @60
20g Hallertauer @30
15g Styrian Goldings @30
20g Hallertauer and/or Styrian @0mins Maybe?
Might just use Hallertauer in place of styrian because I already have it would save me buying anything.

and

Wyeast 3724

Mainly decided to do this due to the heat at the moment and I love sour beer. I know its not traditional but does anyone think this will be a total disaster?

Cheers

I think the carafa is high by percentage, and you have no batch vol to indicate gravity

sorry 22L
Gravity should be round 1.062 (according to beer smith)

Just an update.
Since no one said this would be outrageous I just went for it.
Made the sour mash; put in a jar inside an insulated box for 3 days. This was a first for me. Smelt funky but tasted like sour apples so I boiled it in a separate pot (because I'm paranoid) and added it just before the first hop addition.
I didn't get the Styrian Goldings, I had 19g east kent and just threw in 5g of magnum to bump the ibu's to 20ish.
OG ended up 1.060 and the colour was rad! super red.
I'll post a pic next time I take a reading.

My "Red Rye Sour Saison" is coming along nicely except for the lack of red, so maybe just a "Sour Saison"
I know it's a bastardization of a beer but it's tasting great. Nice saison yeasty spice with a subtle tart finish which I really hope sticks around till the end.
Hasn't stalled and it's still bubbling away. Once again Melbourne's outrageous weather patterns have screwed me over and I have it sitting in an esky with a heat belt wrapped in a sleeping bag to try and keep it around 30. Gravity has hit 1.023 as of today so hopefully that'll drop a bit more over the next week or so.
<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/kvQuhxkCEp/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Not sure about embedding a photo from Instagram (looks like what you were trying to do). Can you just give us a link to the photo until someone else chimes in with the answer. Keep us posted, I'm super curious about how sour it turns out. Which malt did you use for the sour mash?

I just made a gallery here on AHB here's a link - it's an instagram pic but no filter...
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/gallery/image/8128-red-rye-saison-1st-hydrometer-reading-day-12/

for the sour mash it was 2-row pale malt.
basically I did 110g of crushed pale steeped in just under a litre for 30-45 min @68 degrees
pulled out the grains and poured the "wort" into a jar let it cool a bit (about 45-50 degrees) and threw 90g of fresh pale malt in
put a piece of glad wrap on the surface and screwed the lid on and that went into a box filled with insulation for 3-4 days.
the box worked great, temp slowly dropped but was at 32 degrees on brew day.

Latest posts

Back