Red Duck - Limited Release - Sitka

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex N Oz

Reaction score
I picked up a 6-pack of Red Duck brews from a boutique bottle-o in Leura this weekend.
I've tried the Dark - IPA and it was ok but a bit bitter for my tastes.. It really lingered and I'm not a fan of tasting my beer 5 minutes later.
I'm not saying it was bad, it just isn't for me.

I'm now on to the Sitka - Spruce Oatmeal Scotch Ale.....

uuummmm.... I dunno.. It's piney for sure. If I'm reading this right, it's bittered with spruce wood and needles?
It's one of those things that I'm not sure I like, but I keep going back for another mouthful..

Is pine a common beer flavouring?

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

Not common certainly, but I've had many seasonal ales with them. Anchor Steam in San Francisco brewed up a corker a few years ago. Do a Google search on "gruit" and you'll get a good idea of non-hop bittering alternatives.

Mardoo said:
Not common certainly, but I've had many seasonal ales with them. Anchor Steam in San Francisco brewed up a corker a few years ago. Do a Google search on "gruit" and you'll get a good idea of non-hop bittering alternatives.
Good link!! Thanks for that mate.
I have to say this is really growing on me. First it comes on as sweet and creamy, then just before it become cloying, a slow, soft bitterness comes on but doesn't really set in as "bitter" and it sure doesn't linger on..
Very unusual and the more I have, the better acquainted I get with the taste and the more I like it.
I'm surprised these aren't more popular as something "different than hops".

Back