recpie tweak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so last batch I did my first boil and the beer came out really good .

I made this coopers IPA recepie

I want to make it again but I want to bump up the alc% a little from 4.5% to 5.5 to 6% . used the spreadsheet and adding another 500g of LDM takes me to 5.6 and 6% in the bottle .spot on

I dont want to thin out the beer too much cause the first batch is good . and I want it to have some body

is just adding the 500g LDM going to change the flavour too much ? Do I need to tweak something else to keep it balanced ?

mongey said:
so last batch I did my first boil and the beer came out really good .

I made this coopers IPA recepie

I want to make it again but I want to bump up the alc% a little from 4.5% to 5.5 to 6% . used the spreadsheet and adding another 500g of LDM takes me to 5.6 and 6% in the bottle .spot on

I dont want to thin out the beer too much cause the first batch is good . and I want it to have some body

is just adding the 500g LDM going to change the flavour too much ? Do I need to tweak something else to keep it balanced ?
I use BRY 97. I have got high attenuation using Coopers tins and 1.5kg of Malt and I like the results.

It should be fine.

What are the hop additions? And IBU?

recepie is

30 min nelson
20 min galaxy
10 min bravo

and last batch i dried hopped with a little amrillo I had lying aorund to mix it up . well actually I was going to use galaxy but grabbed the wrong pack from the freezer and tipped the lot in as I had been drinking all arvo. but it came out tatsy

sheet says 50 IBU as mid numebr

I really like the sound of Mattrox's cunning plan. The 1.5 kg can of LLME will provide tons of malty goodness, and then 300 g dextrose won't thin things out much at all. Keep your steeped additions. (I hope I didn't miscontrue the big M's intentions, BTW)

I haven't used galaxy before (so I'm only working on my interpretation of what other people have suggested), but I'd be tempted to swap the galaxy and bravo timings. But this is just a guess.

As you're adding malt you'll be changing the malt to hop bitterness balance as well. If you like the current balance, you might want to think about upping the hop quantities as well.

mongey said:
recepie is

30 min nelson
20 min galaxy
10 min bravo

and last batch i dried hopped with a little amrillo I had lying aorund to mix it up . well actually I was going to use galaxy but grabbed the wrong pack from the freezer and tipped the lot in as I had been drinking all arvo. but it came out tatsy

sheet says 50 IBU as mid numebr
I did an above 6% with about 50 IBUs. It was well balanced. You should be fine with that hop schedule. + the can's bitterness.

Scientific method

Do what you did the first time, change one thing, AND measure (mmm...beer :icon_drool2: ) the results.

I would up the malt and see what you think. If you decide the hops are lacking, change that the next time.

Stop being such a correct smart alec, Barge Arse. Geez I wish I could remember the name of the programme you starred in. I'm sure it was the same one that mentioned "steaming number twos" in another segment!

None of those names ring a bell, but if they're the only ones you starred it, it'd be Bluey. Of course, the mind wanders these days!

I'm really guessing, but I thought it was a sketch comedy show.

Thanks all. Ordered the stuff today with the extra ldm

Need to get this batch fermenting so I can bottle before I go away for Xmas.

Back