Recommended stir plate for starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that fan is only .4 amp so it isn't going to spin fast.
here is what i did for a 5L flask its isn't super whirlpool in viscous wort but it will pull a vortex nonetheless.

magnets x5 or x20 handy to have you know.
made a wooden frame with base to glue/screw fan into, i made a triangle but if you are a fan of the square go ahead
had a 12v or 5v pc fan around fixed into frame with glue.
had a phone charger 12v 2amp
had a pot wired to it for speed but knocked it off so just direct connected.

put rubber stoppers on frame to keep flask off fan
glue 4/5 magnets to center then tape over to set/hold

when dry add stir bar stanatized to wort, i need a bigger one i think.
tilt to get magnetic connection move into center
seat flask on stoppers

switch on at mains
voila

use bigger magnets than that.... they're tiny. I have a stack of 3 10x2 magnets at each pole.

BTW OP, you don't need a heated one, if you have a room-temp place you can keep it indoors. Mine has always just been on the kitchen counter.

Yep, me too. I have mine in the kitchen and I wrap my flasks in a couple of tea towels in winter. Easy.

Or 4 thicker 10mm diameter, about 5mm high. That does me.

The other thing I forgot to mention is, if you DIY, make sure you have rubber grommets or something to buffer the screw and give the gap needed for the magnets to move.

I may have some leftover magnets, definitely have a spare adapter and possibly a fan. I don't know, I'll have to check at home.

If I do, It's free for anyone who wants to pick up (or cover for postage). However, buying off ebay with free postage may be cheaper if it's just the adapter.

i will photo it for you when at home.
it's fuggly but it works, i would recommend two things, 1 a bigger stir bar 2 bigger magnets, after reading this thread, thanks @Matplat Should give you a very good whirlpool, both available on flea bay, i just got one myself. if you want speed control you will need a pot, i don't recall the impedance on my one it will depend on your psu, you might have to get one if you get a bigger magnet and bar, resistance from dense wort, cause i can see where you are goin' with this, might require a slow start then a wind up.
wiring is easy but what component(s) you need i'm not sure. maybe one of the electric brew kids can help out.

Just go for the smaller one, you will find that the drag of the stirbar in the wort limits the RPM fairly well anyway.

This is the speed controller that I used, you may want to try and source locally though:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-Motor...925306?hash=item25bd2233fa:g:NcoAAOSwepZXS6~r

stirbars:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-PCS-Ma...219234?hash=item46655bb362:g:5JUAAOSwnK9ZP2KX

Magnets:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-10mm...hash=item238cbb9807:m:m6QhlOHuptP4MAcNZwMKY1g

Enclosure:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/jiffy-box-black-197-x-113-x-63mm/p/HB6012

I used this for an enclosure (upside down without the lid) for the fan etc:

1850_5L_Rectangular_Klipit.jpg

I "accidentally" broke the lid of one of SWMBO containers.

Yep, me too. I have mine in the kitchen and I wrap my flasks in a couple of tea towels in winter. Easy.
I think I ended up with the digitalbrewMII in the end as the V3 wasn't released as yet and was showing up as "out of stock" everywhere. This V2 works great and I'm really happy with what I paid for what I got.
Thought about the heat forge but soon realised that I could place it in the same temp controlled fridge I would ferment in. My process now all in the same fridge;
- get cube to pitching temp
- place stir plate on next shelf and get starter or step ups prepped
- transfer cube to fv
- oxy
- pitch
- kick back and stretch your sack.

Not everyone has the fridge space for this and it depends on what you're brewing next. Different parts of this beautiful country, at different times of the year permit yeast building without temperature control. A heat forge wouldn't be on the Christmas list for brewers in the Northern parts, but would certainly be of value to the Southerners.

I'am about to build one. I have the magnets and stir bars, going to use an old PC fan and fan controller of which I have many lying around.

I like the idea for a heater though. Might make sure its upgradable in the future.

I'm going to 3d print an enclosure for it.

Latest posts

Back