Recommended stir plate for starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then, a 3 D print, Mr Fancypants eh?!
What material do you use for this? Do they have a generic plastic for it or can you choose?

I usually print in PLA because it's cheap, made from renewable resources and is easy to print with. It does get a bit soft >50 degrees c which is one of its biggest drawbacks.

I can print in pretty much any thermoplastic that comes in a 1.7mm filament. ABS, Polycarbonate, Nylon, Polystyrene, TPU, PVC, PET etc, plus a bunch of proprietary polymers. They are have varying difficulty (read frustration/time consumption) levels and cost.

Not that fancy, it's not a high end machine.

I just made my own out of an old computer fan and some bits and bobs. Pretty basic wiring, a switch from Jaycar, a resistor to give me two speeds, a case, and an old charger I had kicking about. I got the magnet out of an old hard drive. Those magnets are as strong as all get out! Works a treat. If you get the bits and want to do something similar, I can draw up a wiring diagram for you. A few basic solder joints are required.
11a6bc68f7a1672199fe4aa9934edec9.jpg

8109ad72ea2eed67364ecdf3dc0f80bd.jpg

I don't think a fan controller is a must. An on/off/on toggle switch and a resistor is a good alternative. Not shitting on the controller idea, but just putting it out there if u already have that stuff.

So I've actually got most of the bits except for the magnetic stir bar, box and fan controller, I was thinking maybe this one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GA102132-Gelid-Manual-Fan-Speed-Controller/142456099132?hash=item212b0b913c:g:hdUAAOSw3ydV6Y4X

...unless @Lionman wants to build a second one and charge me for it!? ;) I'd pay handsomely!

I'll build one first and see how I go.

Will a pc fan spin fast enough on 5v? Have heaps of 5v power supplies, as most people do, not many if any spare 12v ones. Haven't used a stir plate before so not sure of the rpm required.

I sense some builds and experimentation ahead! Okay, I'll push ahead with a build, I have the same HDD magnets above and I'm sure I've got a case fan or two kicking around, also have heaps of power adapters and stuff. I'm not too sure about watts/volts/amps - I have a bunch of old modem power supplies, most of which are 12V/0.4A so that must make it 4.2W? Would that be okay?

I still think a speed controller would be good so I can dial in the right size vortex depending on the volume...

I printed out a basic frame/enclosure thingo overnight. Its a bit shit, but should work as a first iteration. I'll just hot glue this version together to make sure it works and I'll refine the design from there.

I sense some builds and experimentation ahead! Okay, I'll push ahead with a build, I have the same HDD magnets above and I'm sure I've got a case fan or two kicking around, also have heaps of power adapters and stuff. I'm not too sure about watts/volts/amps - I have a bunch of old modem power supplies, most of which are 12V/0.4A so that must make it 4.2W? Would that be okay?

I still think a speed controller would be good so I can dial in the right size vortex depending on the volume...

You definitely want a speed controller, sometimes you need to start slow and build up speed to prevent the stirbar from being ejected.

You definitely want a speed controller, sometimes you need to start slow and build up speed to prevent the stirbar from being ejected.

I'll second this, I never get anywhere near top speed on my DIY job. I used the same speed controller as @Matplat

Yep, I've ordered two different controllers to play with (the one you recommended and the one I mentioned above) - I agree, I think it's fairly necessary...

Maybe just using a 5V supply could be good enough to keep the speed down so it's stable but still generate enough of a vortex. I might do some testing to compare.

It would also depend on what RPM the fan is you use. I know PC fans can range from 800rpm though to 2500rpm and above.

Maybe just using a 5V supply could be good enough to keep the speed down so it's stable but still generate enough of a vortex. I might do some testing to compare.

It would also depend on what RPM the fan is you use. I know PC fans can range from 800rpm though to 2500rpm and above.

Could also use one of those adjustable voltage power supplies as a speed controller.

I'm using 12v, and the fan goes like the clappers at full whack.

I just made my own out of an old computer fan and some bits and bobs. Pretty basic wiring, a switch from Jaycar, a resistor to give me two speeds, a case, and an old charger I had kicking about. I got the magnet out of an old hard drive. Those magnets are as strong as all get out! Works a treat. If you get the bits and want to do something similar, I can draw up a wiring diagram for you. A few basic solder joints are required.
11a6bc68f7a1672199fe4aa9934edec9.jpg

8109ad72ea2eed67364ecdf3dc0f80bd.jpg

this is what I did too - with help from this website: http://pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/A_Simple_Way_To_Reduce_A_DC_Fan_Speed/

Simple but effective.

That's basically just two speed settings though, which doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I'd like full control over the RPM so I can build starters of varying sizes and dial in the perfect vortex for that starter rather than a one(two)-size-fits-all approach..

Last edited:
I've put together quite a few stir-plates, and can highly recommend PWM (pulse width modulation) speed controllers like this one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-30V-DC...erse-switch-/351600935082?hash=item51dd0c80aa

The bare bones basic models start at around $2 delivered, so they don't come much more cheaply than that!

Wouldnt have a link to a power supply & appropriate fan for that by any chance
My stir plate struggles with 4 litres in the flask would love to make a more gruntier one
Cheers rude

Latest posts

Back