Recommended cordless drill for a grain mill & Whirlpool Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryobi 18v cordless & brushless bought for just this job, be careful starting, the torque could break your wrist! never had a problem with the keyless chuck and it will run super slow only problem is you cant lock the trigger (you have to hold the speed manually)

, and there's no key to lose, so that's a bonus

the solution i copied for chuck key loss issues
and the old grinder disc tool...

images

When I was living at the olds I used one of Dad's Bosch 18V drill drivers to run my grain mill, set to the highest torque and lowest speed. It did the job very well without any trouble. Now I have a Workzone one that he gave me when I moved out, same deal though 18V drill driver set on lowest speed and highest torque, works just as well.

Both of these are cordless and keyless chucks, which I've also never had a problem with slipping/loosening during the crushing process. It'd have to be running in reverse to loosen it anyway; that's how I remove it from the mill by putting the drill in reverse, holding the chuck and engaging a very slow speed. I do the opposite to tighten it at the beginning, once it's on it's not going anywhere.

I don't think you need anything fancy, just something that has a lot of torque and can go at a slow enough speed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back