Recommended Compressor Delay Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsneck

Malty tasking
Reaction score
Hey all,

Would any experienced TempMate brewers like to share their compressor delay times.

I know that factory settings are 3 minutes, but I'm sure some people have tinkered with it to prolong the life of their fermenting fridges.

I have changed mine to 9 minutes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

The fridge will last longer with a higher delay time. From what I have read.

I have mine set to 3 min compressor delay, and temperature sensitivity to +/- 1 deg.

I find that at ale temps the fridge is never on anyway hence the compressor delay is irrelavant, and at lagering temps the fridge turns on to chill the wort for a while, turns off, and the time that it takes to rise up to the +1 deg temp limit is well in excess of the 3 minute compressor delay anyway.

I do measure the temp from inside the fermenter, hence I do have a much slower temperature reading movement than if you were reading the temperature of the air inside the fridge.

Cheers,

Bumma.

Maybe a fridge mechanic could tell us how long it takes the system to decompress, this would be the optimum time.

The longer delay will ensure your fridge wont keep starting up under load. The few extra minutes aren't going to affect your beer!!
I think mine is set to 15min, something along those lines.

This is one of the areas you can err on the side of caution and not have an impact on the outcome.

cheers

i have mine set for 10 minutes, i recall reading some where that that is the recommended time to save your compressor, cant remember where i read it though!

Back