Recommend Me A Reverse Osmosis Kit Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Hello

Could anyone recommend a reverse osmosis kit and where to get it from?

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Hi,
I agree with Crusty, I too got a RO system from PSI Filters. A little hint.... Get enough filters to last a little while, It wont cost much from Pete at PSI and the delivery is free. He is full of great info so hit him with what ever you got.

Got mine from Magneticworld on ebay. $135 and delivered in 3 days. Excellent service and advice. One very happy customer.

Sorry I have to ask.

I work as a paramedic and Osmosis is a process we study during training, that being the movement of water from high concentration through a semipermeable membrane to an area of lessser concentration.

How does reverse osmosis play a role in brewing? Just curious.

Sorry I have to ask.

I work as a paramedic and Osmosis is a process we study during training, that being the movement of water from high concentration through a semipermeable membrane to an area of lessser concentration.

You've got it in one. The water with high concentration of Chlorine and heavy metals, or ions such as chlorides, carbonates, etc, (i.e. town water, sure not "high" to our normal tastes but can be unsuited to brewing) is forced through the membrane to yield almost pure water. Then you can build it back up with desired salts to suit the water profile of the particular style you are brewing. For example very low dissolved salts for a Czech Pilsner, a good whack of Sulphates for a UK Burton style ale, etc etc.

The Gryphon one is brilliant and trouble free. It pays to get a wee kit from a hardware store so you can run it off the end of a garden hose. Note it takes a while to run off a batch as you are just using tap pressure, not the thousands of kPa they are using at the commercial desal plants etc. Can take a couple of hours, just leave it to its own devices.

Sorry I have to ask.

He may not even need it for brewing but I have a RO/DI model & it will take my standard tap water with a 58ppm reading & strip it of absolutely everything & giving me a 0ppm reading. It takes out absolutely every chemical & mineral in the tap water resulting in pure as pure water. Not too sure you would need to go to these lengths to brew beer but maybe his water is unusable.

I believe some Perth water is pretty feral - I know GB do a fair trade in RO units. Brisbane water isn't too flash either so I'm glad I've got mine. My 3 house styles are basically APA (don't bother, add some sulphates), A lager of some description (RO) and a Yorkshire Bitter (half and half town and RO with a whack of Calcium Chloride and a touch of Magnesium Sulphate to be on the safe side).

Hi All,
Using a RO system from PSI Filters, comes with a storage tank. Mine is a 12 litre tank, 4 stage system and I average around 12 to 20ppm with the filters I use ( you can get filters that totally strip the water bare) . With this system I also got a free TDS Meter. My water supply where I live in Perth is 371 PPM.This system is for drinking, expresso machine, Kettle and cooking. Although I have used it for brewing, adding different salts etc to try and immitate water supplies from around the world. In the end I just got a little fed up with the trouble so I just put mine through a 2 stage filtration ( 0.5 Micron polyspun sediment filter and a Matrikx + CTO/2 carbon filter). This is, IMO, more than adequate in producing very nice water for brewing.

Also the quality of the units are very good and made in the USA, including the filters. He will sell the cheaper chinese brand but they dont hold the same warranty or have the lifespan of the others.
I am also considering seriously in taking out my whole house sediment filter to put in 2 x 24" PSI filters, sediment and carbon to upgrade the whole house which means my other appliances will last longer too. Such as, my dishwasher, washing machine, Hot water tanks etc. No build up around elements etc and sacrificial anodes last almost forever. Not to mention NO CHLORINE or chlorine gases being absorbed into my young kids bodies. Google chorine and fluorides and see what you find out how they effect us and you will see what I mean.
Sorry about the waffling. Just do your homework first and good luck

He may not even need it for brewing but I have a RO/DI model & it will take my standard tap water with a 58ppm reading & strip it of absolutely everything & giving me a 0ppm reading. It takes out absolutely every chemical & mineral in the tap water resulting in pure as pure water. Not too sure you would need to go to these lengths to brew beer but maybe his water is unusable.
I f you are getting tap water at 58ppm, then that's bloody beaut. Why use an RO system at all, you just need a sediment and carbon filter. Perth water in my area is 371ppm

ppm of what? If referring to Calcium then that's fine for most styles. However there could be a lot of crap in there that you don't want in many styles, such as sulphates, carbonates, chlorides, metals, unobtanium etc. ;)

ppm of what? If referring to Calcium then that's fine for most styles. However there could be a lot of crap in there that you don't want in many styles, such as sulphates, carbonates, chlorides, metals, unobtanium etc. ;)

Hi Bribie,
The PPM just refers to Total Dissolved Solids ( TDS), and you are correct, it does involve carbonates, metals, etc. But one good thing about filtration is that it also gets rid of cholrines, fluorides, chemicals ( trihalomethanes, Heptochlor, Benzines, etc etc.) Personally I think a 1 micron sediment and a carbon matrix filter is more than adequate for producing nice water whilst still maintaining carbonates. All depends on how fussy you wanna get.

I f you are getting tap water at 58ppm, then that's bloody beaut. Why use an RO system at all, you just need a sediment and carbon filter. Perth water in my area is 371ppm

I don't use my RO system for brewing, it was used for my SPS coral aquarium.
Our town water is pretty good & quite soft with a PH of 6.8-7.0.
It tastes great straight from the tap but exceptional with some soaked grain & hops added to it. :icon_drool2:

Back